peloncillo

Back from Mexico

Hey everybody I just got back from Sonora last night and had a great hunt there. I was fortunate enough to take a 98 inch buck and we had three bucks over 100 inches taken. When I get home from work tonight I will post the story and pics. When we crossed at Nogales there was another hunting party I believe from Utah and they had some real toads, one had double drop tines.

Keven

I was blessed with an understanding wife and through no small sacrifice for her or the kids I was able to go on a coues hunt in Mexico. I went with Jason (Desertsheep) and had an incredible hunt. It was everything I had dreamed it would be.

The border crossing at Nogales went smooth and we were on the ranch at three that afternoon. The ranch is huge and textbook coues habitat. Large grassy oak-covered canyons with some smaller rolling hills and brushy creek bottoms.

Mexico002.jpg

Mexico028.jpg

The first day I saw a buck that was close to 100 inches but decided to keep looking for something bigger. I think we saw 15 bucks that day. The second day we found two big bucks over 100 inches. The first one wouldn't stay still long enough to stalk and the second one would have been mine if I would have been in better shape. The memory of that buck flagging through the brush will haunt me for a long time. The third day was cold and extremely windy. We went from glassing point to glassing point. We found small bucks and does bedded on the north slopes out of the wind. Towards evening we found a buck bedded with a doe under a ceder. I couldn't make the buck out through my scope and was moving to get a better angle when another buck came by and the bedded buck ran out to scare him off. The sun was at the wrong angle and I thought it was over but one of the bucks stopped next to a ceder. I shot him and asked Jason were he went. He said he dropped in his tracks. I think I might have shot the smaller of the two bucks but had to make a split second decision and am very happy with my buck. The fourth day was also very windy and cold and not many deer moving. I went with another hunter to help glass and right at dark we saw a huge buck running up and down the face of large mountain but it was too late to put a stalk on. The last day was the best day I think I have ever seen coues hunting. The weather was colder but no wind. I went with the father of the hunter I was with the day before and Jason. We were on my favorite glassing point before sunrise. As it got lighter deer just kept popping up. The rut was definitely on and at one time I had eight deer in my binos at the same time. I watched bucks chasing does, making scrapes and rubs, and lip curling. I helped guide Jason and his hunter to a bedded buck over the radio and got to help pack him out. That buck was a real toad with great mass and width. I hope to be able to go back and do it again some time.

Keven

COLD WINDY DAY

Mexico006.jpg

MY BUCK

Mexico014.jpg

Mexico011.jpg

Jason doing his thing

Mexico005.jpg

Five hunters, Six deer

Mexico035.jpg

Hey everybody I just got back from Sonora last night and had a great hunt there. I was fortunate enough to take a 98 inch buck and we had three bucks over 100 inches taken. When I get home from work tonight I will post the story and pics. When we crossed at Nogales there was another hunting party I believe from Utah and they had some real toads, one had double drop tines.

Keven

Wow I just got a picture of that double drop tined buck and it's an awesome rack that's for sure! If I can get permission I'll post the pic of it.

Looks like you guys had a great time down there. Congrats!!!

Man if that was the smaller of the 2 bucks that thing must have been a toad and a half. Great buck you tagged a definate trophy of a lifetime. Congrats to the other hunters as well.

Great job and a beautiful buck. Thanks for taking us along with you.

Great bucks Keven..........glad your hunt went so well...........p.s. that old ranch house looks familiar.........is this Jose' Morales ranch in Agua Prieta?..........congrats..........Allen........

Way to go, great buck! I had the good fortune to meet Jason and he's a great guy and obviously knows his stuff! I know all about that wind you were talking about, it sucked! Congrats! JIM>