Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

How to dispatch trapped animal?

Well I will be trying my hand at trapping this season and after reading through many old posts and finding lots of great information the one thing I can't wrap my head around is how to dispatch a bobcat in the trap without ruining the fur. The only videos I saw online were people using catch poles to strangle the cats and there is no way in heck I would do that! So what do you guys do? Thanks

• Like 1

I've only seen people choke them out.

X2 strangulation

Trapped in Alaska for years. For martin and mink, we just bopped them on the nose then pulled their heart down. Sounds a little cruel now but if you are selling the furs, the buyers do not like bullet holes. For otter, foxes, wolves and such, we did shoot them with a 22. I got real good at sewing up the holes

Brent

• Like 1

I choke them but if you don't wanna go that route your other option is to shoot them. You shoot them but it gets messy especially with head shots. To avoid holes I used to just make them bite at the end of the barrel on a .22 rifle and shoot them through the mouth into their head. No matter how you do it it might seem messy but I'd prefer to go without the blood everywhere.

Back east either drown them club them invest in a good pellet gun shoot threw the ear can also use 22 shorts the tiny like half powder rounds always forget the exact name n go there the ear.

Watched my uncle many times, he'd pull them out with a dog catcher loop and step on the neck and chest til they died. There really isn't an easy method to kill a caged animal (as far as the heart strings are concerned) but if you hunt or trap its all part of the lifestyle. I shot a deer once and made a bad shot and knocked off the jaw. Found it choking in its blood upside down. I had to slit his throat. It's either in you or it's not.

• Like 1

I'm also getting into trapping this coming season..I've done a ton of research on it but haven't trapped anything.

Whatever you do or however you dispatch the animal do it quick and efficiently. Don't drown them or stomp on their neck! Lol.. Wth. Either choke'm out good and hard (don't be a pussy about it) and should only take 50 sec. or less or put a bullet in them in the right spot and don't use too light of a caliber.

• Like 1

I'm also getting into trapping this coming season..I've done a ton of research on it but haven't trapped anything.

Whatever you do or however you dispatch the animal do it quick and efficiently. Don't drown them or stomp on their neck! Lol.. Wth. Either choke'm out good and hard (don't be a pussy about it) and should only take 50 sec. or less or put a bullet in them in the right spot and don't use too light of a caliber.

stepping on the neck and chest usually broke ribs and they were dead in about a minute. What's wrong with stepping on a neck??

I'm assuming you're talk'n dispatching out of a foothold trap. My mind was on cage trapping. But either way it seems like a risky way to kill a bobcat. If you've done it and it works more power to ya! Seems like they go completely nuts which could make it tough but I've never done it so I can't say for sure. My point was that it is done with the least amount of suffering to the animal... quick as possible.