Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

I BAKED MY 6 MONTH OLD

FRANK I his name and I finally made some time to knock out some homemade bread. Sourdough to be exact. Meet Frank, the 6 month old starter I have been taking great care of since his creation.

post-10379-0-82670700-1405806798_thumb.jpeg

I experimented over the years with different types of storage and this is one of the best I have used, its from sir la table and has the cam over seal like an old beer bottle, I also add some plastic wrap for good measure. Fruit flys are notorious for wrecking a good started. I know I lost a 2 year old to the little devils.

So last night after sulking due to the lack of draw results I knocked off a plate of sushi and a bottle of wine and went to work on step 1 mixing 4 cups flour 1 cup starter and some yeast for the sponge. Of course I made some more started feed and filled Frank back up slightly above his previous level and put him back to bed.

post-10379-0-76504700-1405807156_thumb.jpeg

This morning I kneaded in 2 cups more flour and some salt and sugar then placed the dough in a greased bowl to rise for a few more hours.

post-10379-0-97476700-1405807373_thumb.jpeg

Now about noon it was time for a sam adams and about 10 minutes more kneading before putting the dough in a dutch oven for one more rise before baking.

2pm comes around and the now huge spawn of Frank goes into a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes and this is what I have now.

post-10379-0-57993100-1405807557_thumb.jpeg

Wife Lisa is making brined chicken dish for dinner and I am thinking its going to be a good Ol AZ desert evening.

Now go get some food and forget about the draw results.

post-10379-0-22972200-1405807565_thumb.jpeg

Ya I have done some quicker bread and it may have been better but I love food with a story so feeding year old plus starter sourdough to friends is what I was going for. I use water as well but just put in with the bread in a pan close to the fire. For tomorrow morning its sourdough buiscuts and gravy my fav

Guest 300ultramag.

Smooth that has to make killer biscuits and gravy... I use to have a propane oven... Wish i still had it

No the long time is for the starter. You make the starter and keep feeding it for years and use it for making your bread cowboys used to keep starter on cattle drives for making all kinds of sour bread goods. Basically water and flour and let it sit and keep adding more to it over time and when you use it. The starter can be years old and you can make bread from it every few days. Lots of ways to do it but this is old school cowboy style. Its supposed to go in campfire I just used oven this time