Sign in to follow this  
208Rob

Coues habits

Well guys after years of applying for Coues deer in New Mexico I finally drew a tag. This is my first Coues hunt and I am very excited. I drew the unit 23 (Burro Mts.) muzzy hunt that runs from Oct. 25 through the 29th. I will only be able to scout for a couple of days before the season starts so I figured I better start doing some research now. I am just trying to figure a few things out about the area and Coues deer in general since this is my first time hunting them. I was wondering if the coues bucks bachelor up like mule deer or stick to themselves. Also wondering about the weather during that time of the year.

Sure wish I could scout more than 2 days prior to the hunt but with work and the 1000 mile drive to the unit I don't think it will happen. I am more than willing to help anybody that needs some information on hunting Idaho, thanks again. I am not looking for someone to tell me right where to hunt just trying to figure out thier habits and maybe things I should be aware of before I head down there to hunt in Oct.. If you would rather P.M. me that is great. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I will be sure to let you know how I do.

Thanks,

Rob

Yes and no, bucks will run together but not like mule deer. You most likely won't be finding 6, 8 or 10 bucks together. You're most likely to see 2 or 3 sometimes 4. But then there are bucks that get smart and run solo. Most likely those bucks you find running solo will be out earlier in the mornings and already going back to bed or back to hiding before all of the others.

The weather will probably be warmer than what you will be used to in Idaho so I wouldn't weigh yourself down by packing a lot of cold weather gear. Also try and search the forums here for "glassing for coues deer", there is a ton of good information in posts like those, a lot of good hunters on here. Good luck on your tag and I'm sure you will enjoy hunting the grey ghost.

• Like 1

If you can fly in and rent an SUV say over Labor Day that is going to be a huge plus but it will also open up a bunch more questions. I guess I start by asking what research has you done so far in the way of reading material, books on Coues etc.

Have you called over to NW G&F and asked to speak to the Wildlife Manager for that area? Does NW G&F breaks down their Hunt Units like AZ G&F does on their website and give you info on game?

Find water (use Google Earth) and get away from the roads a mile or two. Glass, glass, glass. Bucks will be active in the morning but if it's hot they will bed by mid morning (most of the time) but not always.

They will also stretch their legs and move around again in early afternoon in my experience if only to get out of the sun or to snack.

Leave camp well before it gets light and find a vantage point where you will be out of the sun and glass the shade and sky lines. I can't stress this enough, stay out all day.

Also sent you a PM.

• Like 1

Shooter,

Thanks, for the info. I was also wondering about their movements. I've read that they stay in the same general area year around. I was wondering if they do stay within a certain area or do they tend to migrate as the seasons change and do they move out once they have been bumped? Have you been getting any rain down there this year? I have been reading a lot of posts and trying to find out as much as I can about the grey ghost and were they live. Spotting is the main way I hunt up here. Also, I have to know about the snakes and spiders ya have down there. I talked with a guy and he told me the tarantula are moving around that time of the year? Ya I can't wait to get down there and try and find a ghost!

Shooter's description of the daily routine is pretty much right on, in my experience.

Coues whitetails do show a strong fidelity to their home ranges, but they will move quite a distance in August, September and early October to find reliable water sources and areas where the rains have brought on good grub. After grasses and forbs go dormant, they tend to retreat to their traditional haunts. Whitetails in the Burros are found in pockets, for the most part, and are not as evenly distributed as mule deer. You have to search and find these pockets where they live, but (unfortunately) scouting around Labor Day may not tell you where to find them in November. Nonetheless, if you have the time, a scouting trip in September and visiting with locals would not be time wasted.

Rains have been spotty, but there have been quite a few showers up that way. However, I drove through the Burros on my way up to Silver City today and, unfortunately, it looked like most of that country had been missed, so far. Generally, when we have an El Nino event, the rains come later as opposed to earlier, so the forecasts are promising.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Shooter,

Thanks, for the info. I was also wondering about their movements. I've read that they stay in the same general area year around. I was wondering if they do stay within a certain area or do they tend to migrate as the seasons change and do they move out once they have been bumped? Have you been getting any rain down there this year? I have been reading a lot of posts and trying to find out as much as I can about the grey ghost and were they live. Spotting is the main way I hunt up here. Also, I have to know about the snakes and spiders ya have down there. I talked with a guy and he told me the tarantula are moving around that time of the year? Ya I can't wait to get down there and try and find a ghost!

Well honestly, it's extremely hard to pattern a buck in the early rifle seasons. Reason why is because water is a huge factor and you cannot rely on just one water source. If your going to hunt near water it would be best to find a neutral spot between two or more sources. But hunting pressure is the most heavy effect on deer movement. Bucks will almost seem to disappear or even go nocturnal with just a bit of pressure from other hunters but stay positive and stay behind your glass. Even though it sometimes seems that the bucks have completely disappeared from an area it isn't always the case. Most of the time they are still in the area (i.e. Canyon, bowl, large mountain side) but they are just limiting their movements or even changes their routines. For example if you find a buck while scouting and watch him for a couple days and notice he waters and feeds early in the morning and beds throughout the afternoon and then waters and feeds again at night, and then three days into your hunt and you can't seem to find him anymore maybe start looking for him to only be feeding and watering once during daylight hours instead of twice like you saw before. He may be feeding earlier in the morning before all the other deer or later at night after the sun goes down and you can't see him. And if you find a buck or a few bucks and then during the hunt can't find them again, try and look at the terrain. Like if they have been in a canyon or drainage and then you can't find them, try looking over the ridge, they might have moved into a small bowl or into a high basin that is just on the other side of that ridge but you've never seen it because you never got around to look at it.

Coues are tricky little buggers but man they sure are fun to hunt. And as far as other little critters go, there are rattle snakes and black widows that you would want to avoid, that is if you see one. It's not like they are crawling around every where but they are out there. Also if you do see a tarantula, PLEASE DON'T KILL IT! They are cool little creatures so pick one up and/or take a few pictures and let it go on its way. You're going to have a lot of fun on this hunt and see some cool country, good luck bud.

Lots of good advice. In the fall male Tarantulas will be out looking for burrows where the females spend most of their time and as long as you don't grab them they are pretty docile and you can put your hand palm up in front of them and they will walk up on it.

Rain has been almost nonexistent in the Phoenix Metro Area but the rest of the State has been getting some decent monsoon rain in July but the Southwest has been pretty parched this year.

Shooter,

Thanks again! I will just look from a distance at the tarantulas. We have spiders, but nothing like them. It will be a cool picture, but I don't think I will be handeling them. Just wanted to get someone's experience with them. Sounds like the males have other thinks on its mind!

From the reading I have done on coues, they are territorial and females usually live with a few miles of where they were born. Correct me if I am wrong! They sound a little like mullies bucks up here from my experience. Going nocturnal and moving to their back up area. I am excited to hunt them. My llimited experience with whitetails up here is when spooked they move out and don't stop for anything untill they are in cover. I am guessing they act the same?