Sign in to follow this  
218buck

looking to buy a new muzzleloader

Looking to buy a new muzzleloader in the 500 range any ideas on what would be best value thanks

Never having a muzzleloader or even shot one before, I bought the CVA Accura II with the thumb hole stock. I put a Nikon BDC scope on it (should have gotten the Leupold), it is incredibly accurate. I've shot it in competition 10 times in a row without even putting a cleaning patch down the barrel. I bought it for a mule deer hunt I got drawn for in New Mexico. Never saw a deer, but called in and shot a coyote on the run at 80 yds with it. I got drawn this year for a whitetail hunt in New Mexico, so I hope to get my first deer with it. Good luck and post what you end up getting-and what you get with it! :)

• Like 1

Spend a little more and get the new one by Remington very cool muzzy able to reach out to 400 plus yards.

I just went through this also and I went with the CVA Optima V2 Northwest. I was going to go with the Accura like Couestracker did but it was a couple months out for their new northwest edition so I went with the Optima. The only difference between the northwest and standard model is the breech plug has four holes in the plug to expose the nipple and it uses musket caps. I am from Idaho and wanted one that was legal in Idaho that I could switch over easily to use 209 primers. There are only few things different between the optima and accura. So I pulled the trigger on the optima. Very easy to clean with the quick release beech plug. Very accurate, the pic was a three shot group at 100 yards with a 250 gr Hornady sst-ml with 100 grs of Blackhorn 209 powder and cci primers. I am very happy with it. Fun to shot. I was also using the Leupold muzzy scope. CVA is a good one. I got the optima for $299 and put the rest towards the scope. But as 125coues stated that new Remington muzzy will be a beast and 400 yards is no joke with what I have read on it.

post-12552-0-11621900-1406088265_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

CVA's have kind of a love hate deal going on. I see a lot of people who are happy with them, but I've been around 3 of them and all three were major POS that wouldn't go off. They shot good on the rare chance they would fire, but they only went off when they felt like it. I wouldn't touch one with a 40 ft pole after the 3 I've been around.

I have a friend that has a CVA and he bought the new breech plug you need to be able to shoot blackthorn powder and is also using a better primer and he is shooting great groups out to 200yds and being able to on his 4th shot without doing any cleaning.this weekend we are going to stretch it out to 300 yards.he is shooting a 250 group honady sabot .

• Like 1

I have a TC Triumph ... great rifle. Accurate. Would not hesitate to shoot it past 300 yards or even more. Don't use it much though...more a bow/centerfire guy.

How things change. I haven't hunted with a muzzleloader in at least 25 years, but when I did, 75 yards was the outer limit of my self-induced range. I built my own rifles (barrels and locks came from mail-order catalogs and not from kits; stocks, triggers and hardware I made myself) and tried to make them look as much like 18th- and 19th-century Pennsylvania long rifles and Hawkens as I could. Two were flintlocks and three were percussion guns. Round balls and cast bullets on top of black powder accounted for maybe two dozen Texas whitetails, a Colorado bison, and one mule deer and several javelinas in Arizona. I wanted to give my homemade guns to my daughter and grandkids, but cannot. All of my firearms were stolen by burglars a couple of years ago.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

How things change. I haven't hunted with a muzzleloader in at least 25 years, but when I did, 75 yards was the outer limit of my self-induced range. I built my own rifles (barrels and locks came from mail-order catalogs and not from kits; stocks, triggers and hardware I made myself) and tried to make them look as much like 18th- and 19th-century Pennsylvania long rifles and Hawkens as I could. Two were flintlocks and three were percussion guns. Round balls and cast bullets on top of black powder accounted for maybe two dozen Texas whitetails, a Colorado bison, and one mule deer and several javelinas in Arizona. I wanted to give my homemade guns to my daughter and grandkids, but cannot. All of my firearms were stolen by burglars a couple of years ago.

Bill Quimby

That's heart breaking about your guns Bill. Sorry for your loss. I'm grateful for your insight.

I will be posting. Cva Altima stainless Camo with thumb hole stock for sale after my Antelope hunt in Sept. It has a Leupold 3-9 ultimate slam scope that is dialed out to 300 yards. I have never had any problem with it at all! I have two and will not need it after Sept 5th. Let me know if interested and we can work something out in Sept if you can wAit that long

Whitey

I have an ultimate muzzleloader and I would recommend waiting for the Remington to come out now that Ultimate Firearms has sold the patent.... It is an amazing gun and shoots amazing groups out over 400 yards... A little pricey, but well worth it if you have a highly desirable tag in our great state!

As I've gotten more into front stuffers, I've tended to move more towards the traditional style, to the point of flintlocks. My Hawkens and Great Plans rifles are good to 100 yds (for me, others have told me they do better than I) and love them, but the CVA Pro reaches out to 200 and is scoped. I tend to hunt in more wooded areas so I usually go with the Hawkens and GP.

Lunar

• Like 1

Traditional style - Thompson Center Renegade 50 cal. No scope. Great shooting gun, very accurate and comfortable.