spivey1

Mexican fan tail myth?

Has anyone else out there seen one of these? While hunting in a certain area in 30b I have come across some deer that are a little shorter, stockier and their tail at the top is as wide as their butt, a lot thicker than a normal coues and does not come to a point on the end it's more rounded. I have seen some of these the last few years only doe and they are usually with a few normal coues it's not hard to tell them apart. The old timers around here call them fan tails and they say the bucks have have abnormally small racks. Anyone seen or heard of these? Ill try and get a pic of one this year.

• Like 1

Has anyone else out there seen one of these? While hunting in a certain area in 30b I have come across some deer that are a little shorter, stockier and their tail at the top is as wide as their butt, a lot thicker than a normal coues and does not come to a point on the end it's more rounded. I have seen some of these the last few years only doe and they are usually with a few normal coues it's not hard to tell them apart. The old timers around here call them fan tails and they say the bucks have have abnormally small racks. Anyone seen or heard of these? Ill try and get a pic of one this year.

Those are antlered chupacabras I believe. :-).

I look forward to the serious replies. Should be interesting.

• Like 2

Could be it was a dwarf coues I think? Ive only seen two of them and it was close to the same area I seen the first just a year apart. Was talking to some older hunters around here and they said it was a Mexican fan tail. I was just curious if anyone heard of this. They say they are smaller and have have a wider tail.

Years ago a guy we hunted with shot a buck with a small 3x3 rack each point was only 2" or less but it's tail was about 2 feet long and fluffy

• Like 1

Yes, my dad called them Mexican redtails.

• Like 1

They're yearling coues deer. Just like most of us go through a goofy phase as young teenagers, so do coues.

Yeah, ok. Seen several of those 'yearlings' with 8 or 9 points. sarcasm

to me it seems that all the different mountain ranges have their own, unique "subspecies" of coues deer that share similar traits such as antler configuration, color, weight, height. i have noticed that body sizes of similar age bucks can vary quite a bit from area to area. it might be due to the fact that a lot of coues deer populations are isolated and don't really overlap with eachother, whereas mule deer range overlaps throughout the southwest US. Deer are just like people, they do not all have to be the same size, color, etc. to be the same species

• Like 4

I like the cut of your jib, Grey Ghost.

Whitetails rarely travel more than a few miles from where they were born, making a dominant gene like dwarfism a more common and confined occurrence.

• Like 1

I like the cut of your jib, Grey Ghost.

Whitetails rarely travel more than a few miles from where they were born, making a dominant gene like dwarfism a more common and confined occurrence.

He likes his "jib"!!! :D

When I used to hunt coues in Mexico we would run across very small, 80 lb coues deer with nice racks. The most notable two were very small with 95" racks. In the scope and binos they looked like great deer and were judged by experienced hunters in the 105-110" range. When we got to them we realized that were very small bodied deer. We called them mouse deer. Especially hard to judge when they were alone.