spivey1

Mexican fan tail myth?

So every one that believes in them has hear of them and seen them in AZ and Mexico. But some how in the largest group of whitetail hunters in the south west, no one has a photo?.

So every one that believes in them has hear of them and seen them in AZ and Mexico. But some how in the largest group of whitetail hunters in the south west, no one as a photo?.

I believe I killed one and have a photo but no time right now to dig it up, it's on here buried in archives. I don't believe the size or shape of the rack has anything to do with determining if it's a "Fan Tail", but more so the size of the body. I also don't believe it's a different specie, just dwarfism but who knows! I killed a big racked buck that I doubt even weighed 50lbs and was the size of a javelina. Because of the antler size compared to his body at distance on the hoof, I thought I had just killed a 120"+ deer! What was interesting is the ranch owner warned me previously about a different specie of Coues that were much smaller and lived higher on the ranch… He laughed at me and said "I told you so" when we walked up to what I was sure going to be a 120" but instead it was more like a large jack rabbit with antlers! Roller coaster of emotions that day for sure! JIM>

I remember Jim posting this story of the deer. I have never personally seen anything like your talking about but I see how it could happen. I just seem to kill giant bodied deer with small antlers. Makes for a rough pack out

So every one that believes in them has hear of them and seen them in AZ and Mexico. But some how in the largest group of whitetail hunters in the south west, no one as a photo?.

I believe I killed one and have a photo but no time right now to dig it up, it's on here buried in archives. I don't believe the size or shape of the rack has anything to do with determining if it's a "Fan Tail", but more so the size of the body. I also don't believe it's a different specie, just dwarfism but who knows! I killed a big racked buck that I doubt even weighed 50lbs and was the size of a javelina. Because of the antler size compared to his body at distance on the hoof, I thought I had just killed a 120"+ deer! What was interesting is the ranch owner warned me previously about a different specie of Coues that were much smaller and lived higher on the ranch… He laughed at me and said "I told you so" when we walked up to what I was sure going to be a 120" but instead it was more like a large jack rabbit with antlers! Roller coaster of emotions that day for sure! JIM>
I take your word over just about anyone I know, But still there no photos. The Guys on this site alone kill hundreds of whitetail every year.

Trying to do this via phone, hope works!

Here's the "dwarf" I killed. To this day I kick myself in the butt for not getting better pics illustrating how small he is. Truth is, I was trying to make him look bigger because all night I was on SAT phone calling friends and family telling them I just killed the biggest buck of my life and what a shock it was to hike up the next morning to find out it was just an illusion! I killed him at last light at 756 yards on top of the highest mountian around so had to wait till daylight to go get him. I just knew, rack compared to body size, it looked like a giant and we had seen a 120+ (if normal body size) and a 135" (killed a week later) running together on same mountain the day before so I figured it was one of those!

Most interesting thing is ranch owner warned me previously about a different "type" of whitetail living in the higher elevations of the ranch, I dismissed his warning as just "myth", until had the proof in my hand! We've killed a handful of bucks out of there, never again on top of that mountain tho, and all have been normal sized.

Compare my hand to the body of the deer to get perspective, I'm sitting behind him at almost arms length which makes him look bigger. This buck was old and very worn down teeth.

mexico2010022.jpg

Also, my hand is on my knee propping up the deer so my hand is actually farther back than the deer as well! Again, wish I had gotten a pic of me holding him up with 1 hand like an average Javi saying "What the ****!" while the rancher laughed at me and said "I told you so"!!! Still, longest 1 shot kill I've ever made and great story for the memory bank. Jim-

Here's another pic. Again, I'm sitting back and reaching out to him so he looks bigger but if you look at my arm or rifle you get some perspective.

mexico2010045-1.jpg

• Like 1

I've filmed them several times, one was even being attacked by a Chupracapra.

They often feed in the same areas as the spiny 3 toed Unicorn, which I've also filmed.

All my footage disappears when I go to view it though. I guess it's the fan tails and Unicorns using their magic against me?