Sign in to follow this  
muley224

" Coues " Pronunciation

I was recently at Sportsmans Warehouse and struck up a conversation with a fellow sportsman. I mentioned that this is a great hunting site and very informative. Many years ago I had the pleasure of meeting one of the best hunters in Az and a past B&C scorer, Robin Bechtel. When we began talking about Coues deer he informed me that the correct pronunciation was " cows ", after Dr. Elliot Coues who first came accross them. I looked this up and he was indeed correct. Since then I always refer to them as such, " cows deer " , spelled " Coues ". Anyway, when I pronounced them as cows deer to the guy at sportsmans warehouse he sort of became irate with me and informed me that they are "Coose " deer. If in the future I speak with any members in person, I apologize now, if my pronunciation of " cows " is incorrect.

My understanding is that "Cows" is the correct way to pronounce it, But i'v always called em "Cooz" deer,but my uncle from down south calls em "coose". I think its all just a matter of where your from and who you hunt with.

I just didnt want to offend anyone by my pronunciation, sorry to azgutpile.

this was discussed on here several years ago and someone else mentioned that it was their opinion (and they provided some literary proof to back their opinion up) that it should be like "house" only with a C instead of an H. so instead of a "w" sound it should be an "s" sound.

sorry, just another wrench.

• Like 1

this was discussed on here several years ago and someone else mentioned that it was their opinion (and they provided some literary proof to back their opinion up) that it should be like "house" only with a C instead of an H. so instead of a "w" sound it should be an "s" sound.

sorry, just another wrench.

What? Purple monkey dishwasher?

• Like 2

I have never personally met a person who has called them cows deer,every hunter I've ever been around has pronounced it coos,so as far as I'm concerned that is the correct pronunciation.

• Like 2

If it scores over 100"s You can call it anything You want. Most people know the correct is cows ,but to Me it doesn't sound as ellegant as COOS..................BOB!

• Like 2

The error is that Elliot Coues didn't know how to pronounce his own name.

LOL!! good one!

And I am with Bob....who wants to call our beautiful deer "cows"! I stick with coos because it nicer than cows and people look at you goofy if you pronounce it otherwise.

• Like 2

I say Cooz. Is it true that he never harvested the very deer that carries his name? I think I remember seeing that somewhere...

Think from now on I will just call them the " Gray Ghost " Im goofy looking enough as it is.

• Like 1