biglakejake

el nino just keeps rollin' along-september 1-day wahoo !

Yeah I saw that. I think that makes 5 I've heard of getting caught this year. Suppose to be one of the best tasting fish out there. Sure would like to get out there.

I haven't heard much about a Albacore bite though.

3 opah is amazing. I just got back from a 2 day. Bite was tough, but I managed 9 yellowfin. Guys that were inexperienced or refused to drop to the lighter line were having a tough go, some were skunked.

Took a 2.day trip on the outer limits last Wednesday and was crazy.....limited out with 220 yellowfin! The bite is wide open right now!!

post-3911-0-77577200-1407224256_thumb.jpg

post-3911-0-77559800-1407224317_thumb.jpg

3 opah is amazing. I just got back from a 2 day. Bite was tough, but I managed 9 yellowfin. Guys that were inexperienced or refused to drop to the lighter line were having a tough go, some were skunked.

How light? 20#?

I dropped down to 20 most of the time and 15 sometimes. I caught the jackpot fish and could have caught more, but helping rookies takes time. The bite is up and down, fish are constantly moving. Because it was wide open last week, doesn't mean it will be this week. I know a bunch of guys going out on the outer limits in a day or two. Hopefully they will have a good bite. If you go bring a variety of gear. Guys that brought 30 and 40 because the bite was so wide open got skunked, yes skunked on a 2 day!

Here are some pics. Jackpot fish is the one the deckhand is holding and I'm standing next to him.

post-12572-0-98931300-1407271533_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-44398600-1407271571_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-56664400-1407271594_thumb.jpg

Couple more. Guy holding the yellowtail was out for the first time. Got his first yellowfin and first yellowtail. Unfortunately he broke off 3 I handed off to him on the 20lb. It's no problem at all landing them on 20, just have to be patient and no when to apply pressure. Sure wish it was wide open so we could have used 30-40. Would have been a lot easier on the rookies.

Good luck to anyone going out. Awesome season.

post-12572-0-82222300-1407271708_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-23439700-1407271749_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-32919600-1407271776_thumb.jpg

even the 3/4 day boats are catching some tuna... half days even caught yellowtail... I hope the bite is still on in September, chartered a boat for 30 the condor.. when you guys use light line what reels do you use.. I only have a trini gold with 30lb .. so I would like to get another setup with lighter line.. what do you guys suggest?

even the 3/4 day boats are catching some tuna... half days even caught yellowtail... I hope the bite is still on in September, chartered a boat for 30 the condor.. when you guys use light line what reels do you use.. I only have a trini gold with 30lb .. so I would like to get another setup with lighter line.. what do you guys suggest?

My favorite light line reel is the Daiwa SL20sh. I fished 20 on that and an SL30 for one of the other guys. 15 on a curado 300 just for fun. Lots of small excellent reels out there now. Just make sure it has a lightweight easy free spooling spool. Those older Daiwa sea lines in the 20&30 size have graphite spools and excellent bearings. I've beat that sl20 for years and it keeps on taking a beating.

• Like 1

By the way. A friend of mine just went on a 3/4 day and 45 guys caught 9 yellowfin. I would at least go on an overnight just to give you some range and less bodies fighting for rail space. Yes they are getting fish, but that is tough fishing especially if your driving all the way from AZ.

Last time I went offshore was 10 years ago for Albacore and I used a Penn Jig Master spooled with 20# Floro and did ok I brought an extra spool with 30# but never needed it. I have switched to PLINE Floroclear on my Calcuttas and Ultralights. The only down side is having a hard time seeing the line so I can follow the fish.

30 and 40lb mono is all we used just need to tie on 30lb flouro leaders of 2-3 feet.... Seems they can see the mono in some cases

thanks guys, yes cattle boating is crazy right now. everyone wants a piece of the action. that's why we got the condor limited load of 30 I hope is enough for us to fish comfortably.. On Saturday i'll be in SD for business and also hitting up the seaforth for a quick cattle boating mission on a half day just to wet the line..