wendt

Unit 20 C

My dad, 10yr old son (1st big game hunt), and I have been drawn for this unit to hunt mule deer October 24th-30th. I have hunted this unit before on the east side of 89. After looking at the G&F website the Kirkland/Wagoner Rd east of 89 now has a locked gate closed to hunting. I have never hunted west of 89. There are a few permanent water sources in the habimap on G&F website but not a lot of help there other than the unit info. Can someone point me in a good direction to start my scouting and see if I can get my son a shot at his 1st deer? I don't care if I get a deer just hope he can get a shot and experience buck fever!! Thank you for any help offered. Mike

Sorrels rd to the west and rancho el oso to the east...both just past peeples valley and good mule deer countey

Thank You for the info. When is a good time to start scouting? Is it to hot right now? Are the deer more nocturnal at this time of year?

Id scout now and look near water sources for sign and glass in the early morning. Never too early to get out and scout...at least get an idea what the terrain is like if nothing else.

Wagoner isn't locked up. I was just there. Alot of private property up there. Know where you are. There are some nice deer in there but alot of it is rough country. You guys are gunna work for an opportunity. Feel free to PM me. I dont like blasting roads and areas on the open board...

Also. The Mule Deer Foundation Phoenix chapter has adopted the Gold Bar Ranch. It is off the Wagoner. 11miles in. We just had our first project there. and we are in the works of another. It would be a great opportunity for you and yours to come out and help, learn the area and help out the local wildlife. Mike McCracken is the owner and has lived in the area for years. He is also a guide. He is a wealth of knowledge and awesome guy.

• Like 3

Thank you for all the pm's. I have replied to them. I really do appreciate the information I have received so far.

Yes I would love to get a deer for my son as big as sneaker's but would be happy with any buck for his first one.

I hunted that zone years ago just outside people's valley. Saw a couple nice bucks but couldn't get on them. Even saw what I swore was a small Coues buck right at dusk one day. Nice country. Some of that zone would be within the Yarnell fire area wouldn't it? Might be something to check out if so.

Wasn't sure where the fire went, just heard it was big and in that general area. What zone is the fire area in then? Yarnell is in the corner of 20c if I remember right. It's been 10 years since I'd been there though.

• Like 1

yeah the fire was still in 20c but 20c goes south all the way to wickenburg. The fire was west of Yarnell...looking directly west from the cafe you could see the fire when it happened