MULEPACKHUNTER

Monday Check in

Awsome, ya pull ups are my nemesis for ever. I've always been 200 lbs and not super lean, not fat necessarily but just not lean and 180. So I'm at like 10 pull-ups myself I remember in school we had PE and had to test every year and until high school I did zero. But in high school I went from zero to 15 pull ups so I finally grew into my body. Haha

So a while back I was needing a boost to my work out routine, I signed up for a race. Kind of like having a set date for a hunt or a tag , you know something to work towards rather than just random day to day work. This was the black canyon trail ultra marathon 60k distance. This would be my longest effort and a pretty big deal to me. It sure did the trick, I had a pretty good effort up to race day and had a tone of miles in, including running while on hunts after hiking all day and carrying a pack etc.

the race was really cool going from basically Mayer to black canyon city mostly on single track dirt trails. This was to be my biggest test to date and it didn't disappoint !!

I stuck to my planned heart rate and pace and my legs crashed at mile 22. I ran leggit up to about mile 19 before my body started rejecting the effort. Haha

This is the first time I have really wrecked myself working out and it was interesting. So 3 hours plus at 145 heart rate or more running desert mountains showed me I'm really not in as good shape as I thought I was. Back to the drawing board , 2 days later it was hill running 7 miles in the white tanks with a 4 mile flat walk cool down. Already signed up for another race, we will see how I can improve.

It's amazing what the human body can do, the top runners are going 62 miles at sub 8 minute mile pace !!!! Crazy

• Like 2

I walked almost 22 miles, Thursday and Firday, there and back, on the Arizona Trail, an overnighter north of Freeman road in 37B. I am bragging. Mulepackhunter, dang: in my book, that qualifies you as an endurance athlete.

• Like 1

Hey man 11 miles a day gets you pretty deep in the woods. Hard to beat that.

It all counts, mileage is mileage weathe it's 1 or 22.

6.5 miles in the rain tonight. Love these late cold drizzle rains this time of year. Had to drag my butt out of the house when I realized the weather was less than perfect but it turned out sweet.

post-10379-0-42332000-1519808766_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Absolutely the best way to motivate is by signing up for a race! I ran two marathons last year and have 4 races in the next 8 months... I've been kicking around the idea of starting to apply for western states but not really sure how realistic that would be. Anyway anytime you are on the trail or road gives you time to think and it's good for the soul!

Wow western states ? Very cool.

Depression is setting in right now, I was on a big kick and had every day laid out up to my next race March 17th but the wife and I are sick and I've not been training. Major bummer.

Going to try to get back on track tomorrow.

Understand how that goes I've had some kind of virus for the last two weeks. My little 6.5 mile run Tuesday afternoon started fast but around mile six felt really slow. Hopefully tonight's run is better... Good luck on getting back to training and your next race! Heading to Hawaii for a week then time to really start putting on the miles

A fitness kind of day with all the trimmings, started with grabbing my bow with new strings from Ross Outdoors, made 4.2 mile hike in the white tanks with the Atlas Trainer at 62lbs, made a quick 1.5 mile dog run with my boy Jake, finishing the night off with salmon dinner for me and Jake and some Alaska trout fishing on Prime Video. Lucky lucky lucky to be alive on a day like this.post-10379-0-79476200-1524109654_thumb.jpeg

White tanks

post-10379-0-74001100-1524109677_thumb.jpeg

post-10379-0-15347600-1524109714_thumb.jpegpost-10379-0-89240900-1524109751_thumb.jpegpost-10379-0-19408200-1524109794_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

How was your week?

I'm working on building a home gym for a work out I love.

Nothing fancy just basic lifts along with runs in between sets.

Full body weights along with constant elevated heat rate.

Had a good last few weeks, made some gains every day but one in 14 days.

Alternating runs and weighted hikes with vertical gains.

Tonight's run was hot but a Lake Pleasant swim after made it all worth it.

post-10379-0-22955200-1526015045_thumb.jpeg

With hunting season creepin up on us I must say I gotta start busting it again. I hurt my shoulder last year right after my elk hunt and have been taking it easy on it up until about 6 weeks ago. Finally got the wife on board to start going with me and doing a mild diet. Need to get back where I was last year. I Had a opportunity to sign up for the Ihuntfit Team and looks like starting Monday ill be starting a new program with them. Im pretty stoked i've never had much guidance with this stuff just been lifting off and on the past few years. Cant wait to finally have some directive and someone holding me accountable. Im sure the 1st few weeks are gunna be heck but cant wait to feel the difference next time were in the hills. Got a few hunts to go on so I have some pretty good motivation.

• Like 1