Havasuhunter

Healthy recipes?

I'm looking to lose some weight and get ready for the fall. I used to be pretty good with my diet, but my schedule, stress, etc have gotten me off track. When I'm doing good, I eat lots of whole beans, fresh fruit and vegetables and lean meat. I rarely eat cooked vegetables, but need to add some to the mix.

I'm interested in any ideas on healthy low fat recipes that you all recommend. I need inspiration.

Thanks

• Like 1

Stir fry is a big fall back for us. Chicken fresh veggies and some rice. Home made soup lasts for days as well. I like to just grill all kinds of veggies and put in bags for snacks. A little grocery trick is shop on the outside of the store only stay away from the middle. Think that one over

• Like 5

I wanted to start a thread like this. Lower calorie recipes. Here's one for a protein cheesecake

10oz fat free cream cheese

12oz fat free Greek yogurt

3/4 cup Splenda

1.5 scoops whey

1/4 cup milk

2 eggs

Mix cream cheese and Splenda

Add eggs one at a time

Add the rest of ingredients and mix well

6" pan for 30 minutes at 325 then turn oven down oven to 225 and cool for 50 minutes. Let cool then refrigerate overnight.

2:1 ratio of protein to carbs. Whole cake is like 850 cals.

I did this one last night but in a cupcake form with peanut butter, and an Oreo crust

97jwbc.jpg

• Like 3

I wanted to start a thread like this. Lower calorie recipes. Here's one for a protein cheesecake

10oz fat free cream cheese

12oz fat free Greek yogurt

3/4 cup Splenda

1.5 scoops whey

1/4 cup milk

2 eggs

Mix cream cheese and Splenda

Add eggs one at a time

Add the rest of ingredients and mix well

6" pan for 30 minutes at 325 then turn oven down oven to 225 and cool for 50 minutes. Let cool then refrigerate overnight.

2:1 ratio of protein to carbs. Whole cake is like 850 cals.

I did this one last night but in a cupcake form with peanut butter, and an Oreo crust97jwbc.jpg

That looks really good. Don't do desert much, but may have to try that.

Amanda,

Our zucchini squash got so big so quick in our garden this year I had to try my first "stuffed" vegetable-venison recipe and it was great. I'm pretty sure I was inspired by a past post of yours similar to this one, so thanks!

Havasuhunter,

Aside from specific healthy recipes, I lost a significant amount of weight immediately after cleaning up my diet this year, and I was relatively healthy and slim-figured beforehand. I started to read ingredients labels and avoid anything with the words "modified" or any of the processed "-ose" sugars. Made me feel much better overall and I now take my diet seriously after seeing the effect. Best part is I didn't adjust my beer intake whatsoever.

MPH makes a great point too that's clever, all the junk crap is in the middle!

I used to always read labels. My problem is the 14 13 hour days in a row I work in the oilfield. Makes eating anything you can grab seem ok with the limited time, but I've got to get better at all cost. I buy very few things from the middle of the store too, except dry beans and rice. I need to get a deer this year, having fresh Venison always helps. After my recent tuna trip, I'm eating a lot of yellowfin which is good. I also eat stripers out of the river fairly often.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really need to start planning my meals better so I can bring healthier stuff to work. Not being home most of the time makes it tough.

• Like 1

Check out bodybuilding.com lots of recipes and they keep it simple, so you are more likely to stick with it. Also Men's Heath & fitness is a great place for recipes. If you like their page on Facebook they are constantly posting good information through out the day.

• Like 2

^^edit: bb.com is good., stay out of the misc. though.

to be honest talking nutrition is one of my favorite things. im more passionate about it than I am hunting. I was going to bite my tongue since I come off abrasive in about every thread I enter lol. but, I must say a few things so read on if you want knowledge.

like about staying away from GMO foods. thing is nearly every food you put in your mouth has been genetically modified. seedless watermelons and bananas, in the wild those have tons of seeds but they were genetically modified. meat, has been breed to be genetically modified. dont concern yourself with that stuff, gmo foods aren't going to hurt you and certainly have no bearing what so ever on your body composition. eat them.

(how fat/lean you are). weight loss is all about macronutrient intake, your body runs of calories(macronutrient: protein, fat, carbohydrate) people who say theyre "cleaning" up their diet as in eating more whole foods has nothing to do with them losing weight. theyre losing weight because the whole foods are less calorie dense so they dont give your body as much energy therefore you lose weght. which is fine, but is that a long term solution? can you really eat "clean" every meal for the rest of your life, no and you dont even want to. keeping rough count of your macronutrient intake is the way to go, then you can eat bosa donuts if you want and still lose weight. I see, "I feel better eating clean" think about this, if youre out hunting and reach in your pack for a snack do you go for a carrot? no you go for something like a snickers or trail mix. something with a lot of energy in it.

low carb diets, again people lose weight on them because theyre taking out a bunch of calories not because carbs make you fat. why would you ever want to take out one of the macro's your body runs on, it makes no sense. you still lose the same amount of weight if youre eating a balance of all 3 macros and then youre not denying your body anything. no paleo diets, no adkins, no "diets" at all. if you want real success you have to establish something that's reasonable long term.

denying yourself foods, and saying certain foods are "bad" is how eating disorders come about, major binge eating issues. there are no bad foods, none. only bad amounts.

end rant.

in before too long didn't read

• Like 3

Protein cheescake is money!

So are protein brownies and portien nut butter bars!

Amanda's recipe is also almost perfect, dont get rid of the protein! Replace the cheese with tahini, yogurt, or humus and that would be a meal with a very good mocro breakdown and not many wasted/extra calories. Jalapeno Humus would be my choice.

I like these sites for real food recipes, good stuff.

http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

http://paleomg.com/#

• Like 1

Another yummy, yet healthy meal I made the other day was a Chicken, black bean, corn salad. I made it ahead of time and took it camping with us so we would have a healthy yet fast meal while doing our owl surveys.

My husband grilled and smoked the lean chicken breast and we used the left overs in this salad

then I cut up the chicken into bite size pieces, added frozen corn, can of whole black beans, chopped onion, chopped red pepper, and lots of cilantro.

For extra flavor I added lime juice from 2 limes (probably only need one lime, but my limes were old and not so juicy) and I like lots of cumin, plus a little salt and pepper.

I wish I had taken a photo....it looked beautiful and was very tasty. You can wrap in lettuce or tortillas or just eat it on it's own.

it looked like this pic, only with lots of cilantro and smoked chicken.

You can google chicken, bean, corn salad for a variety of recipes. You could add tomato and avocado too, which I think I will do next time. YUM!

black+bean+and+corn+salad.JPG

• Like 1

There was an excellent show on PBS the other night about how to eat healthy (yes, I know, I am nerd, I watch PBS often)..it will likely be airing often this week in case you want to try and watch it......it was all about eating more veggies and whole grains and having reasonable, small portions of meat. What trphyhtr is saying about losing weight by eating less calorie dense but high nutrient dense foods is right on the money and was talked about on the PBS show. What I have been trying to do is move away from pasta or potatoes as side dishes and use yummy veggie side dishes instead. You can eat a lot more of those and they give you disease fighting benefits as well.

I love PBS! As liberal as they are most shows are still good. I try to eat healthy for a fat guy, I just eat to much of it. I make my own pasta but I'm sure it's not healthy either. My wife and I's favorite meal is lettuce wraps, I use chicken or venison, marinate in peanut oil and 5 spice. Cook it in the cast iron then add peppers, onions, green chili, and a spoon of peanut butter. I'm not a fan of rice but she is, I eat mine wrapped in romaine hearts and she eats hers the same but with rice. I guess it's healthy?

Humus easy and great snack crave blocker

2 cans garbonzo beans / chic peas drained

1 container tahini (trader joes)

1 Jar roasted red peppers

salt pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 jar of Jalepenos or fresh

My favorite is homemade pita chips, just toast cut up pits bread in oven and dip.

Veggies are good to dip

crackers

• Like 1