Basser15

CrossFit

So as my buddy likes to remind me, CrossFit is the opposite of the Fight Club. First rule of CrossFit is that you must speak of CrossFit....constantly!

With that being said, who here partakes and what Box are you at?

I was down if Tucson for a couple years and worked out at CrossFit NOW with a couple CWT members. Currently I'm working out at Magna in the Paradise Valley area.

I'm sure there will be some CF bashers that will likely show up but I enjoy it and think it keeps me in shape year round so I'm not struggling to get ready for the hunting season two weeks before the season starts...

• Like 2

Love it - excellent overall functional fitness program. Of course, my buddies that do it religiously never shut up about it - or the mudder - or the spartan or the....

Thinking about it - what is there to bash about CF? I've been a couple times as a guest and other than being a tough workout, what is there to complain about?

• Like 3

I really want to start Cross Fit, but the expense of it keeps me away:(

• Like 1

I, and a couple of other members, workout at CrossFit Incite in Queen Creek. Awesome box, amazing community!

I'd suggest that most bashers have probably never tried it, heard some BS from a friend, or can't hack it. It is definitely not for the weak willed.

• Like 2

great work out but be careful & not push yourself to hard to often. my daughter & her boyfriend both do crossfit. he even teaches & competes. the danger you need to lookout for is Rhabdomyolysis. my daughter pushed herself so hard that she caught this & was in the hospital for a week. some very scary times! shes ok now, & still does crossfit but watches for the signs of it coming back. im not saying for you guys to stop crossfit but read up on Rhabdomyolysis & don't ignore the warnings. im told that most gyms who offer this workout even have cartoon posters on the wall that make fun of this. for your families, if for nothing else, PLEASE do your homework on this. can be deadly if you ignore the signs! good luck & please be careful.

• Like 2

So as my buddy like to remind me, CrossFit is the opposite of the Fight Club. First rule of CrossFit is that you must speak of CrossFit....constantly!

That's classic!

I workout in my own garage but need to invest in some more gear. I've gotten some pretty funny looks from the retired folks out on their morning walks when they pass by me while I'm doing walking lunges down the street hugging a kettle bell.

great work out but be careful & not push yourself to hard to often. my daughter & her boyfriend both do crossfit. he even teaches & competes. the danger you need to lookout for is Rhabdomyolysis. my daughter pushed herself so hard that she caught this & was in the hospital for a week. some very scary times! shes ok now, & still does crossfit but watches for the signs of it coming back. im not saying for you guys to stop crossfit but read up on Rhabdomyolysis & don't ignore the warnings. im told that most gyms who offer this workout even have cartoon posters on the wall that make fun of this. for your families, if for nothing else, PLEASE do your homework on this. can be deadly if you ignore the signs! good luck & please be careful.

Hi bowhnt-

Thanks for your input. I am glad your daughter is okay and I hope you don't take any offense by my comments because they certainly aren't meant that way. But the CrossFit/Rhabdo argument is kind of a joke in CrossFit (hence the posters), because it is the most overused argument by haters and people who don't understand Rhabdo and or CrossFit.. Anyone can get Rhabdo in almost any sport. This is a bit over simplistic, but essentially it comes from not listening to your body (arms) when they tell you to stop and usually results from lots of pull-ups. CrossFitters certainly don't hold the trade mark on pull-ups. It would be like warning everyone against tennis because players sometimes get tennis elbow.

Everyone would all be a lot safer if they stayed in their homes and never separated their backsides from their couches, but that isn't an option or desire for most. Any activity is going to pose risk, we just need to ask ourselves if the risk is worth the reward. I've been CrossFiting for about 14 months and don't believe I've ever come across another structured activity that is better at getting people in top shape, is as tough, and yet as addictive as CrossFit.

Here is a good article that gives a better explanation of Rhabdo for any interested.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/01/rhabdo-pdf.tpl

Thanks!

• Like 1

I workout and coach at BuildUp CrossFit on Greenfield and McDowell. CrossFit is about being in shape to enjoy the things you love. Be in shape so you can go hiking, hunting, running, biking, swimming or join in any sports, etc. that you want to try. The community is great and by an overwhelming majority we want you to be smart, be safe, get fit and have fun.

• Like 2

I think Crossfit has gotten some negative publicity over rhabdo and other issues...but you guys are right, you just have to be smart about it and listen to your body. Like any other exercise routine or program. Knowing when and how to push yourself, but not too far...that's where a good program and a good trainer come into it.

• Like 1

in april my grandmother died, and i had to fly into nashville for her funeral, with a layover in LA. After a 3.something aftershock earthquake in LA, this really buff dude walked through the terminal and sat a couple seats from me with his wife. the dude next to me immediately became starstruck and started to chat with the guy, who was obviously being gracious and trying not to look annoyed.

then the dude next to me says, that's Rich Froning. I'm like, "i don't care care how rich he is."

He's like, no he's the crossfit world champ.

I said, what's crossfit?

He tried to explain, but i didn't get it.

So Rich and his wife sat three seats in front of me, all the way to nashville. Turns out he lives in a town that was 10 miles from grandmas.

So i had to look up crossfit. Then i started doing "murph" styled workouts. I really enjoy it, they are easy on the body. I don't like squats, they are hard on my knees, so i changed them up to lunges.

But i've never felt better or been stronger.

I'm wouldn't pay 25 cents a month to work out in a crossfit gym, but i'll do it in my garage all day long.

i do still lift weights, but not much. just some military presses and curls. everything else is bodyweight only.

The last 2 years the same crossfit athlete has won the Arizona traintohunt.com competition... If you where to judge "hunting shape" off the traintohunt.com competition I'd say crossfit works well... 2 times is no fluke...

• Like 1

Isn't cross fit a cross between Jazzersize and Dance?

I thought it was Zumba but with weights and for time..

• Like 2

I'm wouldn't pay 25 cents a month to work out in a crossfit gym, but i'll do it in my garage all day long.

That was how CrossFit was developed and it can easily be done in your own garage or you own space with limited amount of equipment, and whatever equipment you don't have you can modify it to what works for you.