Sign in to follow this  
wing master

INSANITY

I have done the insanity program about 6 times in the last 3 years. Just like everyone's beloved cross fit ;) this workout is no joke. I prefer this workout because it is a one time investment that can be done at home with ZERO weights. It makes it very time friendly and economical while still getting a great workout. If you want to look like the hulk this is not your workout. You don't bulk all that much. It is very high cardio and causes you to shed unwanted pounds and become fit. I have used it to become hunting fit and have never had a problem. If during my hunting I plan on doing longer pack in trip, I will hike with my pack a month or two before the hunt. This allows my legs to adjust to the added weight a little better but it is not necessary.

• Like 2

The program is a total of 9 weeks. Four weeks for the first half, a week of a recovery workout, and four more weeks for the second half. They change the workouts for the second half and are much tougher. I have started and completed it 6 times. I tried doing it twice in a row and couldn't finish it the second time. Was to much for the body. I always need to change to something else or give my body a week or two after I finish before starting again.

• Like 1

To be completely honest if you start this out of shape(I have more than once), you will be so sore for the first week or two that you will feel like you have been run through a meat grinder.

I have enjoyed the Beach Body workouts. I did P90X for 3-4 years to start, then Insanity and now currently doing P90X3. These work for me because I can do them at home and it is like having a trainer in front of me pushing me. I was closer to 40 when I started doing these workouts and I was in impressed with the results. I am on my second month of P90X3 and I like it a lot. Getting closer to 50, the half hour workouts are perfect. They are by no means easy though. When you are not in shape, these workouts will about kill you in the first week or two. That is OK, just hang in there and do the best you can and at the end of the program you will be keeping up with them. I agree with WW. Insanity is tough the first week or two. Once you feel like you are doing good and keeping up, the workout intensifies the second month and it feels like you had not worked out at all...

Like previous posts, a good work out program starts in the kitchen if you are truly serious. When I follow the nutrition program, I shred the weight and feel pretty good once I pass the fat burner stage where your carbs are drastically reduced. (The body will really crave carbs if you ever really lower your intake)

I also believe that whether you are walking/jogging around the block, going to the gym, Cross Fit, or DVD's as long as you are getting out and sweating you are doing the body good. The more effort you put in the more results you will get out. Am I the only one though that enjoys getting a little fat and happy though after hunting season?

• Like 2

I would classify Insanity as more cardio based. You do a lot of ground work though with pushups and other moves. P90X is a total body work out. It helps if you have dumbells. Also a pull up bar is mandatory. P90X involves some cardio, yoga, and lower and upper body workouts. If you want to be in better cardio shape, I would recommend Insanity. If you want to improve you overall body strength, the P90X or P90X3 if time is limited.

• Like 2

Started my 2nd week of Insanity this morning......I was ready to quit after just the fit test.....but told myself I was going to try and see it through the 90 days.

I love the part where he says don't compromise technique over speed......heaven forbid I can't keep up with them in the video so I focus on technique.

It will flat out make you sweat....I like that it is a compact workout hoping that I can get rid of some belly fat.....thanks for the info on the program I dove in kinda blind cold turkey but it feels good to work out.

• Like 4

I would recommend P90X or X3. There are plyometric exercises (jump training) that are not knee friendly though. There are modified moves though that make it easier on the knees though. They typically have 4-5 people working out and one of those people is doing some type of modified move. One of those people will also be doing an extreme type of workout. It is fun to have the goal that by the end of the 90 day program, you will keep pace with one of the crazies. My goal was to keep pace with Dominic or "Frog Boy" in the plyo workout. By about week 9 or so I was finally able to keep up with him.

P90x never did much for me...I was always better off hitting the gym and doing interval supersets followed by a good hard treadmill interval workout. Of course then I had back surgery and went to pot...had to start all over again.

Guest 300ultramag.

Im on T25 and lifting. my gym days make me sore but the T25 makes you sweat. its a good addition to have these compressed cardio days.