ctracingraptor

Need help finding a LR rifle

I currently use my sendero is 7mm with 168vld, my friend loves my rifle. He currently in the market for a new LR rifle out to 1000 yards, without going crazy off topic he wants to stick to a 7mm. Aside from going out and getting a sendero for himself, what other real option does he have? I have scrolled the internet finding a similar rifle, he kinda has his heart set on a 26" barrel, stainless, and fluted. Browning makes the x-bolt long range carbon fiber, which is very similar to the sendero, as far as featured go. But there are no reviews for it on the web, any help would be nice or opinions on the x bolt would be awesome. He has looked at every rifle from a sako to a weatherby. It seems consist the more research you do only two actions keep popping up, the 700 and the savage? He really like the sako, very nice trigger, but selection is pretty limited. Any advice at all would be very appreciated...

There is a reason the Remington and Savage keep popping up. Is there a reason he doesnt want to go with the two most popular? They both make excellent long range rigs for the price.

I definitely agree with you, but savage doesnt offer a 26" stainless fluted rifle , unless i missed something.... The model 12 LRP has all the features, just not available in 7mm and it weighs a ton. I own a sendero and the LRP is heavy..ha ha. To be honest with you i am not even remotely familiar with the savage line, i dont even know which rifle would be a good starting point. ss, fluted, 26" isnt a deal breaker for him, it just what he would prefer. And i was trying to get opinions of sako, or others? Or should i just tell him to stick with a 700 or savage?

I would just stick with Rem or Savage. Can always get a stainless fluted barrell ordered from a barrel maker and install it on a savage action for what a sendero would cost. If he is dead set on a 26" stainless fluted barrel that is what I would do. Buy a basic savage rifle for 500 bucks order a barrel and take it to the gunsmith for install. Be looking at around $1000 total. Then order a Bell and Carlson stock from Stockys for 250 and you are at the same price as a sendero. Or just buy a sendero lol. I have a sendero in 7mm mag that I like a lot. It is the older stainless fluted model not the new one. I also have a savage 10-fcpsr and it is a great rifle. between the two i think I still like the remington better.

Is there really any another other options for long range, besides the 700 or savages? We all know they can be built to be tack drivers, and some come that way out of the box for sure. He was curious if there was other manufactures that even come close, like he almost wants to go against the grain.. Lol

I have only read about the weatherby long range rigs but they cost around the 2-4 grand mark and are not any more accurate than a normal rifle. There are probably a few guys who can chime in on the Sako rifles but not me. Plenty of custom rifle makers to choose from like montana rilfes, cross canyon arms, cooper firarms, etc...maybe he can choose from one of them?

He's pretty much defined the parameters. 26" stainless fluted, 7mm.

That means (aside from the Sendero) Remington 700 CDL SF or Weatherby Accumark (partially stainless)in factory guns.

If anyone else besides custom builders makes a stainless 26" fluted rifle in 7MM Mag, I'm not aware of it.

Personally, I'm a Savage fan, and while they make some of the most bland looking, mediocre to sloppy action, guns, they just flat out shoot.

I spent the afternoon with a friend who loves buying cheap guns and turning them into works of art. We started off with 2 Savage 110's in .243. One he bought at a pawn shop for around $160 because the stock was duct taped to the barrel and was missing some screws. The second had the standard, sub-par savage plastic stock he got for around $205 at a pawn shop. We mounted cheap scope (don't remember the brand) on the plastic stock gun, and a good Zeiss on the wood one.

The plastic one shot sub MOA with about a .75 group at 100 yards with cheap factory ammo. The wood one got the better scope but was clearly not in its factory stock. The wood was touching on the left side, the trigger was stiff with a lot of creep but still shot 1 1/4" at 100 yards.

I brought out my only hunting rifle, a Savage 14 American Classic, really pretty gun, and I've never seen another like it. It's flat oiled American Walnut with a medium contour barrel in a matte finish - way prettier rifle than your typical savage, and shot 4 shots at 100 yards. I had a flyer at about 1.2" but of the other 3, 2 were touching and the third was within 3/4 inch, and this was in 300 WSM. There aren't many custom gun makers who can deliver sub MOA in a .300 Magnum, and I bought this one for around $480 because I liked the wood and matte medium barrel.

We shot a lot of guns today, but what I saw was pretty much what I've seen over the past 20 years. You can take a stock, off-the-shelf Savage, even one that's been beat to crap,

with a cheap scope and factory ammo and shoot anywhere from very respectable to down-right impressive groups. Some I've shot, especially in the lower calibers, .223, 22-250, .243 you can get under $400, sometimes under $300 including a scope, outshoot a lot of custom rifles.

Imo, a gun that will only do 1 moa is not 1000yd gun. Spend the money, or dont shoot 1k. Btw, there are many custom 30s that are well below moa. The worst ultra ive built shoots in the .4's.

If I was going to buy another it would be the tika 7mm. I wouldn't go with a a Remington or savage if I was going to buy a stock rifle, if custom then a savage or remington

check out redhawkrifles.com. I have a couple of friends who have bought one of these & they are absolute tack drivers. out shoot the one I had built here locally & for less money!

Tikkas are flat out shooters and you can find a tack driving off the shelf gun for about 600. Only gripe would be they are kind of light, and like the savages they aren't much to look at, but both could be addressed with a different stock. I think putting a good B&C or McMillian stock on one would make one heck of a gun!

Light is bad yes. Only advantage a light rifle has is the hike in. After that a heavy rifle wins in every category. Man up and carry the extra pound or two for a heavier barrel and stock lol

Dont believe the myth that light rifles will not shoot. And if you hunt hard, weight matters.

What are all your categories that heavy rifles win in?

• Like 2