Red Rabbit

WMAT Turkey

Ed1200TurkeyPachetaFalls8-14_0261_zps6a7

While up in the White Mountains, I saw several flocks of turkey on a two hour drive, certainly more than one will see around Flagstaff. Intrigue lead me to find out that a WMAT turkey hunt is $1700, albeit guided. I did not notice an unguided option on their website.

Nice pic!

@ $1,700 I think thiose turkey's are pretty safe!

• Like 1

Great composition with the turkey looking back into the picture.

I like calling across the reservation fence to those WMAT birds to try to entice them to cross over. This spring two or three hens answered the call and came across. This picture with the hen looking back reminds me of that.

There's tons of turkey's up there. WMAT does not have very many "self guided" hunts. In fact I believe the some of the elk hunts are the only ones. They don't even offer deer hunts to non tribal members and there a lot of nice deer up there. Think of the rodeo-chediski burn area and the deer they're pulling outta there. A lot of that same burn area is on the res and the deer are nearly untouched.

The two coues mounts in the WMAT Outdoors office had nice antlers also. I think $1700 will keep me from hunting gobblers there. i was talking with an Apache guide while at Pacheta Falls, and he was saying they charge $5k for a week of guided photography for bugling bulls.

• Like 1

I'll take you guys Turkey hunting on private land for only $1650! Ha,ha. Yeah I'd say those turkeys are fairly safe.

I know a few that love the Turkey hunts on the San Carlos Reservation .... 2 fall hunts and 1 spring hunt and $225

If you want to spend a little more money you can try for the Chairman's Trophy Elk Tag for $75,000

Wow Doug, that's awesome! Where are the falls, I've never heard of them before?

Thanks, Tommy.

Thanks, Tommy.

Tommy, have you heard of Maverick. It is not to far from there. It about 3 miles upstream from where Pacheta Creek dumps into the Black river.

Amazing pictures Doug! I love Pacheta falls! I've caught some nice fish in that area!

Thanks, Tommy.

Tommy, have you heard of Maverick. It is not to far from there. It about 3 miles upstream from where Pacheta Creek dumps into the Black river.

No Ammon, I don't know, but I'll Google it. Need to get out more often I guess.....