Havasuhunter

Best backpacking Tent?

I had a good one a few years back. Can't remember the brand or anything. It was light and easy to set up. I need to replace it so i I have that option back in my arsenal. Still have a good pack, thermorest, etc. not a fan of sleeping in the open, just in case of rain or snow. Done it plenty of times though.

Msr motha hubba has been good to me. Had to use their warranty once ( my fault) and they sent me out a new part free.

• Like 1

I have been using a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 for probably about 10-15 years. It has served me well. I did have a pole break this year and they replaced it free of charge even though they told me it would cost $5 per segment. Only one segment was broke, but they sent me replacements for the whole entire main poles...sweet! Since I bought the tent years ago, they have much improved the poles, so now I have the new material which I don't think will break.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL2

• Like 1

I have been using a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 for probably about 10-15 years. It has served me well. I did have a pole break this year and they replaced it free of charge even though they told me it would cost $5 per segment. Only one segment was broke, but they sent me replacements for the whole entire main poles...sweet! Since I bought the tent years ago, they have much improved the poles, so now I have the new material which I don't think will break.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL2

I use this one as well,very light, and tough for an ultra light tent. It made it through an insane downpoor and kept me dry and let me sleep through the night while my buddies tent lost the fly and left him sleeping in mud soup.

Kifaru tipi or Sawtooth, Seek Outside tipi or Backcountry Shelter 2. Stand up room for two guys and gear under 5 lbs. capable of heating with a wood stove.

• Like 1

Tarptent makes several that are small and light - Contrail and Notch, I have the notch its a tight with a 26 wide exped mat. Not much room for tons of stuff in side. The other is lightheartgear the solong 6 tent, tad heavier but way more room, my buddy has one and convinced me to buy one as i need more room. The Big Agnes copper spur ul1 or 2 is good fit, 1 is tight. Or the BA flycreek or fishhook.

Depends on how much you want it to weigh and how much room you want. Also, what conditions will it be in, if super durability is not a factor, look at the higher end BA light weight tents. You can also do floor less or look at Zpacks tents with cuben fiber. The other place is bearpaw tents. Money, weight and room is all a factor.

My 2 cents after all the research, going to do the lightheartgear solong 6.

Hilleberg: unmatched mountaineering pedigree.

Thanks for all the advice. I've been watching for sales and trying to research. Going to pick something up this fall.

I use 3 options . number one is eureka solitaire one man. Super lite and ha been great in all weather. Two is a military issue bivy sack and tarp combo. Third is for cold weather and I use a two man from rei brand. Dual vestibule. All of this cost me what one of the above tents cost. 300 total.

Look on blackovis.com. Currently have a promotion for a tent and sleeping bag. I picked them up for $270! Three choices for the bag I got the -10. They are badlands brand with a lifetime warranty.

I have been checking out tarptent quite a bit since I carry trekking poles anyway. The Squall 2 looks pretty awesome. Only 34 ounces and would have lots of gear room if solo hunting. The majority of all reviews I have read are positive.

I highly recommend Big Agnes , light and

built good. Campsaver.com has a fall sale

on 'em!

I just picked up a big Agnes fly creek ul1 on sale on amazon. With the footprint its less than 2lbs. Can't wait to give that one a try.