what a joke - the worse opening day in my 30 some years of dove hunting

usually we limit out by 8 - 8 is the total of dove that were seen from day break till 8 a.m

Nobody we talked to in our area seen any number /flights of doves- a few little groups of 4-5 and a few singles.

we even had hunters showing up at 8 hoping to find a better spot as they had seen ZERO doves flying.

The only thing I can think of if - the huge MONSOON storms last month tht hit most of our dove hunting areas .

I took 4 shoots and killed 1 dove! that's it

we usaullt go through several boxes of shell between 4 guys - we totaled 12 shots with 2 birds taken

anyone else have better luck ?

We scouted at 1:00 yesterday afternoon. Went this morning and my son got 12, my friend limited at 15, his son stuck at 14, me at 5, wife at 3, and girl at 1, and little girl at 0, although she slowed 2 of them down for me. We were within a mile of Hassayampa river and no shooting from there whatsoever. I do think storms really scattered them. It was fun just to get out as a family!

im at work so you are all doing better then i am

• Like 1

We did great in our usual spot! LOTS of birds!

Sorry you didn't get into them, elkaholic! Don't give up! They're out there! ;)

S.

:)

• Like 1

My wife & I had a great time. It was a little slow at our first spot, but we did manage to kill a bunch of Pigeons. My wife got her first bird while flying:) She was able to get 3 huge Pigeons. I ended up getting 19 Pigeons. Only a few Dove there. At 7:30 we moved to another ranch where there were a lot more birds. My wife didn't want to shoot anymore so I now had a sexy bird fetcher;) I did a lot better at the second spot. We ended the day with 18 Eurasion Doves, 1 White Wing, 22 Pigeons & 13 Morning Doves. Not bad for a slow morning!

post-1205-0-48341900-1409599794_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-79311700-1409599826_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I was told they are good to eat. I thought about trying them, but decided I'm not that hungry:) The farmers beg us to shoot them. They call them flying "RATS"! They are really tough birds! I shot a bunch in the chest at close range & then watched them fly away! Once I started letting them get closer we got more down. It was hard to concentrate on just one bird, because some of the flights had 20-50 birds! It was Amazing!!!!

Adam

• Like 1

There wasn't an epic flight where I was outside of Casa Grande but it was consistent and once my shooting settled down I had a limit plus a few collared doves by 8am. Saw no white wing. Spoke with a friend who hunted out of Maricopa and he said the flight was slow but he managed 8 birds, 6 of of them wingers and another friend southwest of Tucson said it was VERY slow but he did manage several white wing, no mourning dove.

• Like 1

for us it started off with a lot of misses, but then i moved about 200 yards and we both started to pound them. a lot of missed birds still. we both finished in our 2nd box and we left at 11. birds stopped flying after 1030. i ended up with 10 and my father with 11. we had a ton of fun and i saw 2 huge muleys, i was grabbing for my 22 thinking they were coyotes but they werent so i admired them (until they caught my wind) they were at 75 yards for a few minutes. one was a big 4x4 and the other was a big 3x3. we only lost a pair of birds so that wasnt bad, didnt like it though. hope everyone had a good, safe day and hopefully we can hear of some better experiences next weekend!

IT was a slow start down in Casa Grande but we eventually got our limit. 2 White wings the rest mourning. It wasn't as good as last year.

Sounds like people had good results. Glad to hear.

It was our worst opener! I have no idea where the birds went. This spot always produces, yet I think we saw maybe 50 birds total! Weird. We stuck it out, hoping they would eventually come. But by noon the heat was too much and I called No Mas!

My 14 year streak of limiting out on opening day......down the drain!

Took for granted the birds would be there. Guess you have to scout for dove too! Lol