Sign in to follow this  
Jeremyks

2 way Radios

The FCC wont allow these radios more power. They are line of sight, maybe in most cases one mile, wont go thru a forest.

I have yet to find really good two way radios. but here are some radios I am considering. They are HAM radios but super well reviewed and reasonably priced. You can program them to use repeaters in the area you are hunting and thereby get really good range.

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Band/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1409591141&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=baofeng+uv+5r

I have yet to find really good two way radios. but here are some radios I am considering. They are HAM radios but super well reviewed and reasonably priced. You can program them to use repeaters in the area you are hunting and thereby get really good range.

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Band/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1409591141&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=baofeng+uv+5r

To use a radio such as you link you need an amateur radio license. However the law also states that for emergency use anyone can communicate by any means available therefor as a safety backup you are fine. When it comes to radios you get what you for. I have a Baofeng I use as a backup to my normal radios. Yeasu FT-60 or equivalent are excellent radios but they in the higher dollar area. The main difference is ease of programming, battery life, range, water proofing and accessories.

Programming the Baofeng (or other cheap knockoff type radios) will most likely take a computer hookup to do it. The main issue is that getting the repeater frequency and tone settings with the proper step up or down becomes a chore. Add the number of repeaters you want to program = a big pain in the tush. However in all fairness I use a computer to program my Yeasu radios as well. It's just easier and it also makes it more convenient to have a backup to my programming to simply reload the radio. Another nice feature the Baofeng doesn't have is the use of Banks. Most better radios allow you to have all your frequencies in various banks (Like an iTunes playlist). You can have bank 1 for around town, bank 2 for frequencies in northern Arizona, bank 3 for south etc.

Battery life is an issue however they use common cell phone type batteries so having extras is no big deal.

Power and clarity is noticeably lacking. My Baofeng doesn't really have a good volume control. It goes from off to mid volume without really having a low adjustable range. Also if I'm using my FT-60 the Baofeng looses it's ability to communicate way before the FT-60 does. Being able to hit a repeater can be VERY important as a safety tool. For those who don't know... repeaters are mountaintop radios that rebroadcast your signal at very high power and many are linked. Example is Shaw Butte in Phoenix is linked to Mount Ords repeaters. This means all I need is to be able to hit the Ord repeater and I can communicate with all of Phoenix if I need help. Repeaters also have phone capabilities so a radio can make a phone call with a repeater. Calls are unlimited for emergency and 3 minute limit otherwise.

For simplex use (radio to radio direct) most any amateur radio (HAM) UHF VHF will be better than the family GMRS frequency radios due to the output power. Most hand held UHF VHF amateur radios are in the 5 watt range. My truck radios are 50 watt.

That was a bit long winded but I hope it helps. Also getting a HAM license is easy.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info AZshtr.....I have looked at the Yeasu radios also, but like the lower price of the Baofengs and lots of HAM radio people say they are very good for the price.

The China cheapies aren't bad, just not the same. I have both.

• Like 1