naturegirl

Need opinions on a new sidearm

I have two pistols (Taurus 357 and Ruger LCP). What I really want is a small revolver that is comfortable to carry, but will take down a bear if I need it to.

I love the size of the LCP. I prefer the reliability & simplicity of a revolver, but I don't like the size of the Taurus. This would be strictly a self-defense weapon.

I personally no longer think the LCP is a good option for women. I have a hard time with it and I'm stronger than most. A female family member had great difficulty with her LCP, which means she needed a man to help and that totally defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Please don't recommend a good gun for a man. I'm 5'4". What fits a man of 6' does not fit a woman who is smaller in the waist for carrying and the hands for shooting.

I may be asking for something that doesn't exist, but I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

I'm bummed I can't carry a sidearm while bow hunting in Illinois.

The LCR WITH the +P loads. Very comfortable grips and very light. Barely even notice its on your belt and won't have as much kick as the 357

• Like 1

What do you want it mostly for, for bears? Defense or hunting? If it's defense, get a .22. Seen lots of bears fall to a .22 behind the ear over the years. A .22 is one wicked little gun if you know how to use it. A good DA revolver or .22 auto is hard to beat. Your little lcp is good too. We live smack dab in bear country. Ran one out of the orchard just this afternoon. My wife has an lcp she carries all time here. The only thing is da setup is kinda hard to get used to, but they aren't too bad. Just need to practice and figure it out so you know what to do when you need to do it. You hit close to a bear and they'll run off. You hit one and they'll dang sure leave the country. But if you want to kill bears, or any other big game, for sport with a pistol, you need to get used to loud noise and lots of recoil. I carry anything from a .22 revolver sa to a .44 mag with a scope on it. I agree with a da revolver for defense or hunting. I have a mod 13 smith, 4" with small grips in .357. It's fairly light. Fixed rear sight. Pack in a shoulder holster. But it barks pretty loud and you gotta grip it tight. S&w also makes some lady smiths that are nice in .357. Some are 5 shot so they have a smaller cylinder and alloy frames and are easy to handle. But again, with mag loads they are harsh. Another option just for defense is one of the new ruger revolvers with composite frames in .22 mag and .38. I think they make one with a hammer now too. The ones I've seen are da only with a concealed hammer. Get what want and learn how to use it. Only pistols I don't care for are the bigger da only autos that are so popular. I like a light trigger and a safety. Lark.

For concealed carry my wife has a 38 SW hammerless model "Airwieght" or Featherwieght"... I don't remember the name. Nice thing is that being hammerless it will slip out of a purse with no snags, and also shoot from within the purse. As for bears... that would not be my choice of gun. The barrel is very short.

Guest akaspecials

I have a snub nosed Ruger SP101 and the thing hurts to shoot with .357 (I'm 5 10 and 180lbs). Most smaller people would have a hard time getting back on target with it after the first round.

If you're really worried about bears, bear spray is more effective than a pistol. The only firearm I would trust against a charging bear is a 12 gauge pump with slugs...

I'd say something like a keltec pf9 would fit your needs pretty well.a 9mm with Solid flat nose bullets should be plenty for the bears here.it might be a tad snappy,but I know smaller women that handle em no problem.plus they're under 300 bucks and the ones I've been around have been very reliable.

Recoil usually isn't an issue with me. It's the mechanics of when things go wrong that I don't like with my LCP. I want it to shoot when I want it to shoot. I've tried factory ammo, hand loads, and I don't think I have ever gotten through a practice session without it jamming at least once.

I 100% always have bear mace with me in the higher elevations. It is a standard attached to the outside of my pack that I can reach, but does on occasion end up in my hand when I know I'm going through where I know bears are. I would prefer to use the mace if I had the choice. I actually bought a new can this year because I wasn't sure if it expired or not and I've had the can for awhile.

Seriously I worry more about men than bears, but you have to give lions and bears their due respect. I've come across only one group of really, really shady people over the years and all I had was my bow. It was many years ago, but ever since I've never went out alone without a sidearm. It was enough of a lesson for me.

I'm specifically asking for a self-defense gun to carry while I'm hunting.

Recoil usually isn't an issue with me. It's the mechanics of when things go wrong that I don't like with my LCP. I want it to shoot when I want it to shoot. I've tried factory ammo, hand loads, and I don't think I have ever gotten through a practice session without it jamming at least once.

I 100% always have bear mace with me in the higher elevations. It is a standard attached to the outside of my pack that I can reach, but does on occasion end up in my hand when I know I'm going through where I know bears are. I would prefer to use the mace if I had the choice. I actually bought a new can this year because I wasn't sure if it expired or not and I've had the can for awhile.

Seriously I worry more about men than bears, but you have to give lions and bears their due respect. I've come across only one group of really, really shady people over the years and all I had was my bow. It was many years ago, but ever since I've never went out alone without a sidearm. It was enough of a lesson for me.

I'm specifically asking for a self-defense gun to carry while I'm hunting.

THE JUDGE!

I would recommend a revolver platform for self defense. Main reason is if you want it for self defense and actually have to use it, all you have to remember is pull the trigger. I agree on the Ruger SP101. I have the 4 inch barrel. I am 5'6 and it's very comfortable for me to shoot. I shoot 38's when I am plinking and carry 357's in it when I am out and about.

I know several women that use the S&W Governor (pretty much same as judge) alternate 410 and .45 acp or .45 colt... the governor will also take 2 1/2 loads and has 6 shots instead of 5 ... Winchester has the PDX1 self defense .410 loads or of course you can go Bird Shot both good in close quarters and closer ranges...

I've done tests with the judge is ballistics gel. I've always hated the gun but my mother has always wanted one. Two years ago it was her birthday present. I tried to prove a point about how worthless it is but I was surprised! The Winchester 410 with the 3 disks and buckshot penetrated almost 12", long colt ammo went 14", bird shot just broke the surface, and the 454 went 17" all shots at 15 yards. That being said I would still recommend almost any 9mm-45acp in semi auto. My wife shoots a ruger 9mm flawlessly, I love my 1911. The judge is big to carry. Home defense will always be a shotgun. And like .270 already said... A lot of flesh has died with a .22 or .22 mag. My favorite to carry.