hunter01

Ms. Hunter smokes her 1st Goat

I will begin this by saying a HUGE thanks to my wife Tricia. This year she drew a second choice rifle goat tag for 19A, with 21 points and 18 years of not drawing a tag, she finally hit. Several weeks after the draw and a lot of discussion, she made the decision to transfer the tag to our 13 year old daughter, Hunter.

After countless hours of glassing, scouting and driving to different areas, I became discouraged with the area. It's not the unit I bow hunted some 20+ years ago for sure. But I was not going to allow this to diminish from our hunt and the memories that come with it.

Thanks to CWT, I tapped on a few members that were more familiar with the animals in the area and the unit as a whole. So I'll throw out some kudos to azcouesfanatic, chinohunter, HuntHarder and HUNTAZ. These guys threw me a couple bones after they finished their business in the area with no BS to sift thru, Thanks Guys!!!

I decided to hunt Fain. There were a couple shooter bucks in there that would truly fit the bill for Hunter. Opening morning we were on the ground at 0330 making our way into the valley. Getting a jump was paramount, as the pressure in Fain would be intense from all the hunters I saw eyeballing the same area. We went in and made a move on the main buck. A couple hunters blew him out as they were working on a dink nearby. Our buck flew south over a mile out. We could see hunters in the area now working in on him. Not allowing this to ruin our hunt, we went after a buck I figured no one had seen yet this morning. I found him in a small bowl with his two does, right where we had left them the night before.

We slinked in on him and set up on him at 350 yards. I pulled the white toilet paper trick and the buck and his does were closing the gap on us. I ranged him at 249. Hunter was on the bipod holding at 250. I asked her if she was ready. She replied "is it bigger than yours daddy?" I'm thinking , 'what the heck', this a great looking goat with some length and good mass. I told her this buck was very close to mine (79 1/8). She said she would shoot it. At 249 she center punched this buck in the engine room. He "pulled a wheelie" and ran 20 yards, stood with the drunk wobbly legs and piled up. After getting to the goat and looking him over, I told Hunter it's looking bigger than mine. She was happy beyond belief! We took some pics and got to watch the first buck we targeted get whacked by some hunters proned out, a mile away on a hill. We then humped the buck back to the truck. Tricia was elated about the story and the size of the buck. We got to camp and put some tape on this guy. Her buck green scored 82 1/8! An awesome buck for an equally awesome kid that 'Got 'er done'! What's a dad to do after that? Get that sucker mounted of course!

post-1839-0-24773100-1411158327.jpg

post-1839-0-43995300-1411158343.jpg

post-1839-0-57053200-1411158357.jpg

post-1839-0-96581900-1411158368_thumb.jpg

• Like 21

Awesome buck!! I am glad you were able to get her one of the nicer, if not the nicest goat in the area. I saw that goat up close on my hunt, and he is a dandy of a buck. Congrats

• Like 1

Awesome goat! Congratulations. Antelope are tough to judge, it looks like you picked out a great one.

• Like 1

Excellent!

• Like 1

Way to go Hunter great job! Way to go Dad nice work. Way to go Mom fantastic move.

Perseverance, continuing on in spite of difficulties and obsacles paid off with a really fine buck.

• Like 2

I think the true hero is MOM (surprise) she gave up her tag my congratulations to mom, Hunter, and the guide aka dad. Way to go. Is her name Hunter?

• Like 1