Sign in to follow this  
Redman

3 Bulls Hit the Dirt Updated with story

Updated...

The first bull was killed spot and stalk on the second morning of the hunt, the other bulls in the area were screaming their heads off, this guy was feeding. My friend made a great stalk and it ended with a 53 yd shot. After the shot, we waited an hour and a half, there was a good blood trail from the shot, no arrow. About 300 yds in the trailing, we found the arrow. The bull ran towards the road which made for an easy pack out….. while running away, this bull stopped at a water hole and rolled in the mud after being shot, which we think he was trying to plug the hole. He died about 100 yds from the wallow. This is his first bull elk /big game animal shot with a bow.

post-295-0-28669400-1411253627_thumb.jpgpost-295-0-18725500-1411411298_thumb.jpg

The second bull pictured came in on a string. This was also a “first” bull and was taken on the 7th day of the hunt. My friend made a great shot, double lung at 30 yds. Bull piled up about 100 yds away. Scary thing is he bled very, very little. We were literally on our hands and knees trying to find blood. While tracking the bull, the shooter said “there he is” and he was dead about 20 yds ahead of us. When we got up to the bull, the flood gates had opened. There was blood everywhere. Earlier in the day he missed another bull. I am proud of him that he was able to pull himself together and hammer this guy.

post-295-0-25865800-1411253696_thumb.jpgpost-295-0-35839300-1411412054_thumb.jpg

Since my two friends had not killed a bull elk prior to this hunt, I decided to focus on helping them get their bull first….not that I am a guide or some expert elk hunter. I wanted to be there when they experienced the moment, when they shot their first bull with a bow. Both friends stayed in camp and helped me take a bull of a lifetime. In the same afternoon that bull #2 was taken (day 7), we headed out. The 4wd on my truck would not engage, this limited how far we “went in”. It broke somehow between the morning and afternoon (it a Chevy Silverado with push button 4x4 if anybody has any ideas) ….After parking and making our way about 1 mile from the truck, I let out a single bugle and a response was herd. We walked about 200 yds down an old road and my friend spotted this bull, he said I see a bull, he looks big. I put my glasses up and said… he’s a giant. This bull was all by himself and would not fully commit to the calls, but hung around responding to each call. I began to stalk him for about 150 yds and got within 50 yds of him (I think as I had to range a tree in the area). A large juniper separated us, I let out a super soft cow call. He turned and began walking towards me. He got within 15-20 yds (again I estimated because I was behind the juniper) and we stared at each though the tree for about 10 minutes (no kidding). All I could think was this bull is going to run off any second. I also had to tell myself to relax. My hand was hurting from gripping the bow so tight. I could barely see him through the tree and he finally turned his head. I drew my bow then stepped out and shot him right in the chest, frontal shot…. I have been taught to not take this shot as it can be risky, but since he was so close and we had already been staring at each other for 10 minutes. I was afraid he would wind me or just run off…. I had to do something.. Blood immediately began spraying (I have never seen so much blood immediately spray). He turned and went down about 50 yds away. I watched him fall. The Easton Axis Realtree Arrow (10.3 gpi) and the 100 grain WacEm buried about half way in his chest. Since we were so close to the road, we were able to put the whole thing in the back of the truck…all 490lbs of him. He was rough taped at 375, but expected to go a little bigger. I never dreamed in a million years of taking an elk like this…. I just wanted a “good” bull to end a great hunt.

post-295-0-17534300-1411412346_thumb.jpgpost-295-0-57130800-1411412437_thumb.jpg

Then next day we drove about 100 miles to help a friend/brother in law with his bull hunt which is still going on, I had to come back to work.

post-295-0-82262700-1411253800_thumb.jpg

• Like 21

Great looking bulls! I am still looking to tag myself a spike!

• Like 1

Great bulls! And... yes, we would love to hear the stories of the hunt!!!

WOW!!! All beautiful bulls. The Bull of a Lifetime is one of the nicest bulls I have seen. Great mass, beautiful old looking guy, and a little freaky on the left side. Great job. Good luck with number 4.

YEAH! Nice job!

Congrats to all! Bull of a Lifetime….No Doubt!!!! Awesome! JIM>

Congratulations to all on your harvested Bulls!! Looking forward to hearing the stories!!