Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Bike Riding

Hard to go wrong with sports chalet they don't have any cheap bikes but you gotta pay. I ride a specialized tri bike and I have a jeep mountainbike

Are you looking road bike, mountain bike, or hybrid/cruiser for tooling around the neighborhood? My wife had a Fuji hybrid (handles like a mountain bike, frame and wheels/tires more like a road bike) that she really liked and rode in a few triathlons before upgrading to a road bike and then a tri-bike like mulepackhunter mentions.

Just about anything from an actual bike shop isn't going to fall apart...can't always say the same for the big box stores. But yeah you get what you pay for...sort of like optics. There are a lot of "good enough" brands and bikes that won't break the bank though.

I bought his and hers trail bikes at Goodwill for next to nothing. A few adjustments and tubes..... and we were on our way.

• Like 1

I've got a Bianchi road bike and a Balance mountain bike. My wife has a Giant hybrid for riding around the neighborhood and on the river trails. All brands have held up well for over 20 years or so. I like Edge's idea of checking out Goodwill.

I mountain bike a TON to train for hunting (well, I do it because I like it, the benefits to hunting is just a bonus). When I'm riding hard in the summer, I really notice the difference in the success rate of my fall hunts. It helps you physically (of course) but also gives you that mental edge of forcing yourself through something that hurts and sticking with it. Commitment so to speak.

• Like 1

I'm on my second GT Mountainbike since ~2000. My first GT, I bought for ~$200. I had that bike until 2011 when I decided to get a new bike with disc brakes just because. So I sold it for $40 to a co-worker and bought a 2010 model that originally retailed for $800...I paid $400 for it so I thought I got a great deal. I plan on owning this bike longer than I owned the first one.

• Like 1

i ride a scott SUB for a road bike, it's a road bike that sits you up straight in the saddle, and not hunched over like a normal road bike. i lined the tires with thorn strips, and if you're in snowflake you'll want to do the same.

i have a full suspension khs mountain bike. it doesn't get used as much as it should. it's hard to find time with kids and all. but now and then i take it out.

riding from snowflake to showlow and back would be a great training ride. there some good rolling hills in there to mix it up, but not too difficult.