8OWHUNT247

Is .223 big enough for deer?

Hey Folks,

I wanted to hear some opinions on this. Forever, I've always thought a .223 was not a suitable deer round. Reason being, one hole and not a very big one at that. I understand that a .223 will KILL the deer, but I want a big enough blood trail to FIND the deer afterwards. Well, my daughter has a deer tag. She is not quite ready for the .308 and I do not own a .243 so that leaves me with the Bolt Action .223.. I was thinking I could go and find the heaviest .223 bullet I could find (69 grains) and maybe that will slow it down enough and create enough KE to knock a deer down. While I know it would not exactly be preferred, I am curious if others have had experience shooting deer with a .223..

Thanks in advance.

Guest wdenike

I guess everyone knows that on a list from 1-10. It certainly is not probably going to show up on the polling list. :D But more important of a question, is she an above average shooter !! If yes and you have a 10 or faster twist. Swift makes a .75 grain SCIROCCO. That will definitely make them very sick. If she does her part. Don't know if they are available over the counter or not. So ya might have to get a friend that reloads to do ya a favor. I'd get after it though as components are hard to come by.

Take care, Willie

Guest wdenike

Just checked the 55gr. to 65gr. There are plenty of bonded boolets available if you have to go that route.

Take care, Willie

I guess everyone knows that on a list from 1-10. It certainly is not probably going to show up on the polling list. :D But more important of a question, is she an above average shooter !! If yes and you have a 10 or faster twist. Swift makes a .75 grain SCIROCCO. That will definitely make them very sick. If she does her part. Don't know if they are available over the counter or not. So ya might have to get a friend that reloads to do ya a favor. I'd get after it though as components are hard to come by.

Take care, Willie

Its a cheap stevens rifle. Not sure on the twist.. Thats why I don't think I should go higher than 70 grains..

I've taken one deer with a 223. 150 yard shot with a 55 grain bullet. Dropped in his tracks.

Well, thats good to know. Thanks!

I have some 69 SMKs loaded up if you want to grab some to try out in your rifle. Shoots 3033fps out of my 24" barreled AR. My daughter took her Javelina with them this February. Went about 30 yds. before piling up. .224" hole going in, about a quarter ($.25) sized hole coming out.

• Like 1

a stevens? probably 1 to 9 twist. shouldbe stamped on there. i shoot 64-69 grain bullets out of my .223s. its enough to do the job.

• Like 1

Guest wdenike

Take care, Willie

Its a cheap stevens rifle. Not sure on the twist.. Thats why I don't think I should go higher than 70 grains..

It is an inexpensive STEVENS. :D As there is nothing cheap about rifles capable of .50 MOA. :D :D Pretty sure they are 9 or 10 twist. Shoot away!!! Someday, put a trigger, and a half decent stock. And you'll make guy's scratch their head. :blink: :blink: That paid twenty five hundred for custom stuff. :D :D :D Good luck, the .308 reduced load aint a bad way to go either. But I'm betting the rifle is to heavy.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

I have some 69 SMKs loaded up if you want to grab some to try out in your rifle. Shoots 3033fps out of my 24" barreled AR. My daughter took her Javelina with them this February. Went about 30 yds. before piling up. .224" hole going in, about a quarter ($.25) sized hole coming out.

Where in N. Phoenix are you located? I will look and see whats available but this sounds like a good plan. How many do you have?

Take care, Willie

It is an inexpensive STEVENS. :D As there is nothing cheap about rifles capable of .50 MOA. :D :D Pretty sure they are 9 or 10 twist. Shoot away!!! Someday, put a trigger, and a half decent stock. And you'll make guy's scratch their head. :blink: :blink: That paid twenty five hundred for custom stuff. :D :D :D Good luck, the .308 reduced load aint a bad way to go either. But I'm betting the rifle is to heavy.

Take care, Willie

Good Point.... Its actually been a wonderful rifle my kids.. Never had an issue and yes, .5 MOA all day long! Thanks for the insight, She's gonna put her first deer down with this rifle. I am so excited!!!

She is just not physically and more importantly mentally comfortable with the .308.... She is a tiny little thing. :)

Where in N. Phoenix are you located? I will look and see whats available but this sounds like a good plan. How many do you have?

I am basically I-17 & 101 area. I am in Laughlin right now, but my wife is off this week. I have plenty loaded up, so let me know if you want to try some.

They are plenty capable of sub-MOA groups as well.

c0c10bc8-e2be-479e-9f81-671b0b816608_zps

Guest wdenike

Wives, kids, and grandkids. Are ten times more exciting than drawing the tag yourself. :o :o Well maybe two times more. :D

Take care, Willie

• Like 2