joelpresmyk8

Bullet grain for 30-06

Hey everyone just a quick question. I'm about to change my scope on my rifle ol and outta my 30-06 I am shooting 165 grain. My question is would 150 or 180 grain be better for an all around grain? Seems like in my area it's hard to find 165 but 150 and 180 are everywhere. My purpose is a multipurpose hunting rifle for deer and elk

For deer, the 150 would be fine. For elk, I would opt for the 180. The 165 is a great all-around bullet. I would rather go heavier if you are going to shoot only one bullet for all species.

Now for the real question....what bullets are you shooting? Have you thought of trying a different brand? Or a "non-conventional" bullet? Like Barnes, a Sierra Match King, Hornady A-Max, etc.?

Joel I use 165 gr Hornady GMX as my all around load, elk and deer. I've had no problems with and 165 gr bullets on elk. I've used Sierras, Berger and now Hornady. Hornady flies and groups the best for me. I had to switch to the GMX from the Inerbonds because I can't find them anymore. If you reload, just order them if nobody carries them in Camp Verde.

Hey guys thanks for your input! No as of now I am just shooting the fusion ammo. But if you guys think that ammo you mentioned is a little better maybe I can go that route?

Chuck Hawks has some great info on your question. I agree 165 is the great all around load (which is why it's the most popular) and it's what I prefer. 190gr is actually the middle weight believe it or not for the different grain sizes available. I am actually starting to lean toward 180gr on all my loads. I obviously wouldn't use that for Coues though.

You may also try the 180 gr. Partition its a hammer for large deer and elk.

I shoot 180's. the 06 I have has been used hard since 1971. I cleaned copper once and it threw a fit!!! I tried to load 168 grains and it gave me the finger!! This old busted gun loves factory Winchester 180 gn bullets. I can't load for it to save me life lol. Shoots clovers with factory loads. Stupid gun!!

Hey guys thanks for your input! No as of now I am just shooting the fusion ammo. But if you guys think that ammo you mentioned is a little better maybe I can go that route?

Joel I only shoot custom loads. I tried some of the HSM ammo thinking it would be good, but it ended up being far from good. One of my rifles shot the Federal Premium same hole at 100 yards. I was getting over 100 fps differences with the HSM ammo. At that point, it was easiest for me to load some rounds with different bullets and start testing for myself. Since I like to shoot long range, hand loads are the only rounds I shoot now. I load every round the same, every time. I'm getting a little over 2900 fps with my current load in the 165's and am holding 1/2 minute groups to 800 yards.

Shoot what is more accurate too. My 06 doesn't like most 150 bullet, but shoots 165 and 180 great. It like 180 Barnes triple shocks of I remember right. Been a while, I mostly shoot my 6.5.

Thank you again everyone for all the input! Really helping me out! I appreciate the time you guys took to help me!

168gr winchester ballistic silvertips for me. I didn't like the 150s

What differences did you experience in 18 grains difference?