naturegirl

"That's bowhunting!" My Illinois archery deer hunt on a budget

post-5072-0-20949600-1413579647_thumb.jpg

I decided it was time to crawl out of my hole and go after some of the things I want in life. So early this year I made a call to my cousin and asked him to hunt with me in our home state of Illinois. He carefully went through all of the options with me, including different areas and ways to hunt, and we decided on hunting public land in southern Illinois. Sean was stoked and his exact words to me were, “None of my friends are bad *** enough to do it.” I still don’t quite understand this, but am a little flattered nonetheless. I was clear right from the beginning that yes this was a hunt, but I also wanted to actually see Illinois and not just sit in a stand. I budgeted well for the trip and my goal was $1,500 to see how cheap I could do this.

A week before I left, I started packing for my adventure. Being a woman and packing typically means more than one or two pieces of luggage and this doesn’t include hunting stuff. I knew this was going to be extremely tough! I packed, repacked, packed, and repacked more times than I can count until I couldn’t part with another thing. The final tally was right around 90 lbs :)

post-5072-0-08572400-1413579760_thumb.jpg

My cousin, Sean, and I prepared as much as we could beforehand, but there are many hoops to jump through to hunt in the beautiful state of Illinois. I flew Allegiant because I wanted to fly out of Gateway (there are some super cheap flights through Allegiant). After a very eventful flight to Rockford that included a woman coding on the plane and being revived by passengers who are nurses, thankfully we all arrived safely. After speaking with other passengers when the flight was over, it turns out I wasn’t the only person praying during this flight.

The next morning we packed the car & that was no easy feat. Part of the budget meant a full-size vehicle was out so I rented a small SUV (30 mpg) for $235 for seven days. Sean is an amazing packer and somehow he managed to squeeze everything in. Then we started out on the 7-hour drive trek to Shawnee National Forest. The drive literally flew by because we spent the time catching up on the last 30 years. You see Sean was one of my first exposures to the outdoors. Our birthdays are a few months apart & he was one my best friends when I was young before moving here to Arizona. He unknowingly played a very important part in helping build my love of the outdoors.

post-5072-0-39623500-1413579822_thumb.jpg

Upon arrival down south, Sean gave me a tour of some local sights including Garden of the Gods. Most of Illinois is flatland, but Shawnee has mountain ranges that have undergone some amazing changes over time. The tree canopy was a sight for these Arizona eyes as the leaves were just starting to show that fall was arriving.

post-5072-0-74629900-1413579932_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-02594000-1413579989_thumb.jpg

We set up camp at a whopping $7 per night with outhouses :) I’ve always camped without them, but boy they sure were nice to have. We fished the lake throughout the day and night catching up on lost time.

post-5072-0-68638100-1413580122_thumb.jpg

THE HUNT

Sean is 100% a meat hunter and goes by the motto “brown is down.” My cousin, my friend, in his youth had to go to the woods at times for food. It was either that or be hungry because money was lacking. I took this as my opportunity to have no self-placed pressure on antler size or maturity. Whatever walked in front of me antlers or not was going to receive an arrow as long as it was a good clean shot. Honestly, I had this little birdie named Sean tweeting in my ear constantly that the small ones are “the best and all steaks.” After tasting both Wisconsin and Illinois venison every day on this trip, I was 100% in with the “brown is down” philosophy. All I can say is Eastern Whitetails taste absolutely delicious and this is the first hunt I have ever gained weight on. He fed me well with truly organic food and lots of it.

post-5072-0-65542300-1413580182_thumb.jpg

The Illinois DNR Wildlife Management Area I can best describe as state-managed fields separated by small strips of woods bordered in places by the Shawnee. The state required a separate “windshield sticker” in order for us to use this. The fields have approximately 20 foot cuts in different directions randomly placed throughout or at least it appeared completely random to me. The funny part is it didn’t take long for the deer to give me an educational lesson on how they use these fields.

I can best describe the process of hunting deer in these fields as playing a game. The does bed down a few feet into the field and they whole heartedly prefer the corners of the fields because this gives them easy access into and out of both the cuts and the woods. These does sit, listen, and wait. In order for a human to get close you have to cover some extremely noisy ground with cut shoots sticking up and you guessed it – they sound exactly like walking on broken glass. The does end up hearing you 95% of the time before seeing or smelling you, which means they get up and just stick their head out into the field (this leaves no vital shot for me). Then if the doe is still trying to figure you out, she will come out directly facing you and then walk toward you a handful of steps. This surprised both me and Sean how they actually approach you and sometimes they do this more than once and within 60 yards. It seems the does do this until they get close enough to see that they don’t like you, then they spit and spit and run away. Yes spitting is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a sound different than anything I’ve heard from our Arizona deer. I quickly learned after a morning and afternoon of trying this method that the does won.

post-5072-0-12549000-1413580241_thumb.jpg

I now needed to find a good spot for the ground blind I brought with me from Arizona. I found a cut between two fields and set up my blind. Hours went by, which seemed like days, well actually it seemed like weeks. I’m questioning if I have some sort of undiagnosed condition that doesn’t allow me to sit because making myself sit is the biggest challenge of any hunt. I was bored out of my mind so there I was checking out bugs, sticks, bees, spiders, trees, etc., when all of a sudden I hear leaves being trampled and I look to the sound. I see two does coming through the small slit of woods from left to right in front of me. I reposition myself on my seat and draw back my Mathews. Both does stop in the cut about 40 yards straight out in front of me. One doe turned around to look back into the trees where she came from and was perfectly broadside. She was closest and the best shot. I set my 40-yard pin on her and let my arrow fly. I heard the thump and saw it hit a little low and forward. Over 15 deer hunts and I finally arrowed a deer.

Ahead of time, my cousin repeatedly told me if there are two does that I should sit and wait because the other would come back, which means a double. Well as soon as I shot the front doe she bolted back into the woods. I kept an eye on her as she trampled through the woods until I could no longer see her. The second doe just sat there looking for whatever just shot her friend. I could’ve easily taken another shot, but I just couldn’t do it until I had taken care of doe number one. Doe number two waited around for a good 30 seconds before she bolted and after she left, I heard doe number one bolt too.

I waited about 5 minutes before getting up to look for my arrow because I couldn’t wait any longer. I marked where she was standing and didn’t see any blood. Finding blood on a forest floor littered with red, orange, yellow, and brown leaves is difficult and I couldn’t even find one drop at first look. I looked behind where the shot was and found my arrow about 15 yards behind the point of impact. Thankfully there was a slight hill that stopped my arrow. There was bright red blood and hair, which got me super excited. I waited another 20 minutes or so before going to find my cousin who was the opposite direction of where the deer went.

It was an interesting hunt as far as electronics go because Sean & I had no means of communication once we separated. Cell phone service was zero and I only brought one GPS & Sean doesn’t use a GPS so I walked slowly through the fields whistling every now and then until I saw his head pop up. I relay what happened and he suggests waiting another 30 minutes or so before looking. I did this, but it was hard because all I wanted to do was start looking for blood.

The sun was setting and we needed additional light. That is one thing neither of us lacked. I brought 4 methods of light with me from Arizona and I believe he had six. He goes back to get brighter light and I go looking for blood with the light I have. I head back to where I shot the doe. I stepped into the woods and was instantly being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I urgently needed to get in my pack for bug spray and as I went to set my pack down it was mere inches from a big area of fresh bright red blood. Yes! I had a great starting point! I marked the trail with pink tape, which led me out of the woods and back into the original cut, but out of sight from my blind. At this point, I see Sean and he is gesturing for me to “Shhhh!” He had just taken a shot at the other doe that came back looking for the one I shot, but he missed and I will say his shot was about half the length of mine :D

Sean helps me start tracking my doe and we don’t get another 50 yards and she starts clotting. After 200 yards of blood and 3 hours of looking in the dark we couldn’t find another drop. I came back by myself the next morning before sunup because I had officially kicked Sean’s butt and he needed to sleep in. I’m always up before the sun and Sean, a tattoo shop owner, is a complete night owl. I spent another few hours walking through the fields and checking the cuts. I never did find one single drop of blood after the last one I found the night before. We continued hunting in the general area for the rest of the hunt. Buzzards were ever present and I never did see them hone in on anything close by during the additional days we spent hunting.

I’m not sure why again my animal didn’t hit the ground, but this is certainly becoming a major challenge for me. This is twice I’ve had shots where I felt the animal should be dead. Now as I replay the story to friends over the last few days, I’ve had numerous fellow bowhunters tell me “That’s bowhunting.” After losing my elk, I was very close to quitting altogether. I found my way through it and quitting is no longer an option for me. I’m completely getting my rear kicked and at the same time being challenged to continue pushing myself forward.

As far as hunting back east, there are choices on how or where you hunt. You can find your own way and just because most people do it one way, certainly doesn’t mean it’s the only way.

FUTURE PLANS

Sean & I are planning a repeat next fall. We are hoping his wife will join us along with my little girl and my mother. I just have to talk Sean’s wife into not having the comforts of a cabin. I shared with her how proud I was of myself that I bathed and washed my hair in less than a half-gallon of water and she was not the least bit impressed! I’ll keep trying.

As long as money and time allows I want to do this but to other states. All I need is a lightweight tent & sleeping bag to bring with me. I’ll buy a cooler and food there. My total trip was roughly $1,500 and I could’ve saved another $400 if I bought just a doe tag. Out of state DIY trips are very doable and can be quite affordable if you plan well.

Illinois pics

This is NOT how I wanted to hunt.

post-5072-0-45691600-1413580431_thumb.jpg

Fall is here

post-5072-0-19084200-1413580470_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-26222100-1413580725_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-87481400-1413580789_thumb.jpg

The government warns you about the ticks!

post-5072-0-21876600-1413580655_thumb.jpg

This beaver had his den right close to our camp.

post-5072-0-77263100-1413580919_thumb.jpg

6" long praying mantis

post-5072-0-34189900-1413580959_thumb.jpg

I'm fascinated by barns

post-5072-0-28355200-1413580502_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-00792700-1413580575_thumb.jpg

It's been awhile since either one of us have seen this. We had to turn around!

post-5072-0-07816200-1413581005_thumb.jpg

How they make their money

post-5072-0-15597400-1413581053_thumb.jpg

Southern Illinois freeway overpasses

post-5072-0-05335800-1413581176_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-29764700-1413581111_thumb.jpg

Need a haircut?

post-5072-0-69744300-1413581140_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

so nice that you had a great trip and with a close friend - hunting is just that hunting , sometimes we win some times we lose but we really never lose!

maybe next time you can tag a deer

great write up and pics

Ive camped at Garden of The Gods many times with my grandparents. You're making me home sick. Love it there.

Great write up and pictures. Sounds like an amazing adventure. Thanks for taking us along.

Too bad, no venison, but thumbs up for an out of state learning experience!

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Im with you when it comes to sitting in a blind. I just can't do it. It's just a style not for me. 30 minutes and I go absolutely crazy! lol

Keep at it. Perseverance will pay off eventually.

Great write-up! Thanks for taking us on your adventure!!!

Great write up and pictures! It is nice to see those colors. A painting around every corner. I hunted Virginia and had a similar experience with shots on two deer. I was consoled by a local hunting friend that these deer back here are "highly trained athletes". Way to do the DIY!

Thats unfortunate about not being able to recover the deer. Ive lost one myself and didn't care for the experience. At this point all you can do is try to learn from it and keep going. You'll get there. Sure sounds like a great time. Im looking forward to trying my hand at eastern whities next year.

Awesome, if you're willing to spend for out of state hunts you should check out Navajo res archery deer hunts. 400 for non Navajo tag, only problem is that the tags are first come first served at the fish and wildlife office once it opens for the year. Just another experience available in the state.

Great report and pictures. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm hoping to get back to TN in the next year or so. I like AZ better, but I do miss the eastern woods, lakes and streams. It's all different and experiencing variety is what life is all about. Sorry you lost your doe. They are tough animals. I hit a doe back in TN, which are smaller than those Midwest deer just slightly back at 20 yards and never found her. Looked for two days straight. It's heartbreaking, but that is how bowhunting goes sometimes.

• Like 1

Super great write up!

Thanks for taking us with you on your trip!

I can do all of it except the mosquitoes. Okay, sitting the blind isn't that fun either!

So how many John Deere tractors did you see? :)

i really enjoyed the additional scenic photos. There is always more to a hunting trip than what people think.

Nice write up Christina, to bad your couldn't find your doe. I am with you about sitting in a blind it is really hard to do. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Amazing Pictures and great read on your experience over there. Good to see, that despite the tough time retrieving your doe, you are not giving up and using it as motivation. I am sure everything will come together and Dec. and January you will be out for redemption. Good Luck on all your future Hunts!