Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

Beard growth?

Iv'e killed many toms and 1 jake, in the last 20+ years. My ? is if a Jake has a 3-4 inch beard in the spring how long will it be in the fall. I havn't hunted fall birds in many years, all my kills are spring hunts. Here in Dakota this spring there was a ton of jakes. Thinking about going out cause here You can do alot a spot and stock with all the little rolling grassland hills.. I allways thought fall was tough in AZ. in the pines. I never found birds in the fall where I would find em in the spring. Here they stay where they got trees to roost in cause there aint many..Any Turkey experts out there? Or I should say Biologist?????.................BOB!

No expert, but been told they grow 3"-5" per year, and when they hit 10"-11" they wear on the ground so they generally don't get much longer than that. Generally just have a nub the first year, can live up to 13+ years. Please correct me if I'm wrong, my disclaimer 😊

Funny how some Jakes have just the 2" stubb and others like the one I got has a 5" beard. I know He's a jake cause nubs for spurs and the jake tail feathers.............Most of the birds Iv'e killed had 8-9" beards. Never got one of those real thick paint brush beards. Seen some in the neighborhood tho................BOB!

Triple bearded turkey, 10"+ goulds turkey would be a dream turkey with 1" Spurs,,, high hopes

In ND at least, the jakes you see in spring are poults from the previous spring. In the fall there tail feathers will be filled in and they'll have longer beards. If there were a lot of jakes last spring there'll be lots if young toms this fall and next spring if they make the winter. They rarely get over 8-9 inch beards here due to snow freezing them off. You can tell a 2 y/o Tom as he'll have little round bump spurs. If there sharp and hooked they're a 3 y/o or older.

• Like 1

There is one double bearded Tom in Our trailer park. Only one Iv'e ever seen. and like I said there is a paint brush or 2 that are hittin the ground. Its tough for them to be to long cause -30 below 0 and ice . It eats em up just like it does to Me.I think most bird here would not make it thru the winter if not living of a ranch or people feeding them in town. Just to Frickin cold. They would freeze on the roost..Any those are trophies to me................BOB!