Dropped my first Goose yesterday! Just curious as to your opinions on the best way to cook em up?

Thanks for your time:)

post-5405-0-01193000-1413817594_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your first goose. Pluck the breast clean, make sure to leave the skin on. Cut out each breast piece and brine the brest meat for a day or so. Cook breast, fat side down on medium heat ,cover as needed and keep spooning the goose fat over the breast. Cook Med Rare and enjoy.

Congrats on your first goose. Pluck the breast clean, make sure to leave the skin on. Cut out each breast piece and brine the brest meat for a day or so. Cook breast, fat side down on medium heat ,cover as needed and keep spooning the goose fat over the breast. Cook Med Rare and enjoy.

Thanks! I already cut the breast out but without the skin? Will that affect the taste?

Duck and Goose fat are the best, so yes it will, but not a huge deal. Try to wrap it in bacon and make sure you brine it for a little longer.

For next time, keep that skin on for both ducks and geese, then cut em out.

I have made goose apps before where I thinly slice the breast, give it a little flour batter and fried them up but still not as good as cooking them in the goose/duck fat.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the advise!! I will be sure to keep the skin on there next time! I hear goose aren't the best tasting... Excited to try it out!:)

As my dad's friend says" If cooked wrong, the dog won't even it eat" Brine, don't over cook it and you should be okay, but that skin is the key to making it taste awesome.

• Like 1

mmmmm duck fat. use to drink that stuff up as kids. theres always the alternative of making some nice wild goose jerky with it :-)

awesome pic by the way. is that a really big tank or a really small pond?

• Like 2

Thanks! I was thinking about making jerky... But it's a pretty nice sized pond. There's two right there and like 4 on the other side of the road.

Years ago I shot lots of honkers every year. They tend to be dry. Pluck the whole thing is best. Go buy a big, fat yella chicken and peel the skin off and mold it over the goose, fat and all. Stuff it like a turkey and stick in the oven until it's done. Taste a lot like roast beef. Never found any other way where they were very good. Meat is real dark and tends tone kinda tough. Lark.

• Like 2

She took a look trphyhtr. Good luck.

??

You are a beautiful lady. And after trphyhtr offered to have a nice candlelight dinner with you, you looked at his personal page. So, I offered him good luck. I should have offered you good luck also.

I am an old man that wishes I was 21 again. :D

She took a look trphyhtr. Good luck.

??

You are a beautiful lady. And after trphyhtr offered to have a nice candlelight dinner with you, you looked at his personal page. So, I offered him good luck. I should have offered you good luck also.

I am an old man that wishes I was 21 again. :D

Lmfao! I wish I was 21 again. I was just fooling about. I actually was in the same graduating class as her older brother I'm pretty sure. Yellowjacket pride