Adicted

Joined the 1000 yard group!!!!!!!

Well I wanted to get into long range shooting/hunting about a year ago. I had a very knowlegable shooter (CWT member Speedygross) help me build a rifle. I picked up a 300 win mag Remington 700 5R Rifling. He then bedded the gun, timney trigger, 20 moa 1 peice ring, seekins precision rings, and Vortex scope. Then I realized how much more there was to long range shooting as such as building a round that my gun would like. WOW that was a long process. I had a guest bedroom in my house that was used once a year for guest so I turned it into a reloading room, (wife was pissed). I finally made a round that worked for me. (210 berger, re-22, norma brass).

Then a buddy of me told me about the app for my phone called SHOOTER. Now saying I am impressed is an understatement. I plugged in all my info that I had for this app, here is a few( velocity, temp, round, gun, elevation, barometric pressure, etc....) The app then tells you how many MOA or clicks to your target.

So yesterday was the first real day of long range. I took my kids out and we zero the gun at 100.....I then pulled up the app on my phone and dialed in 400. I am shooting at a small steel gong which in 12 inches wide and 20 inches long. At 400 yds whic is the furthes I have ever shot before I hit dead center up and down and left and right and there is that wonderful noise (BING!!!!!) My kids and i look at each other like WOW> lets go to 600.....At 600 that 12 inch steel is very small....We put in the info again and set the scope to what it told me. FIRE-- and BING!!!!!! Holy cow nailed it again and dead center. Now I'm blown away. So then my kids say dad lets just try it. The big 1000 yards. We set up and get our MOA and set the gun up... This 12 inch steel pipe you cant even see anymore. Set the scope to 20 power and Shoot......CRAP MISS.....Elevation looked good so i set back up again and take my time for a perfect still shot. Shoot and BING!!!!!!!!!! It was such a feel of accomplishment. Took about a year to do, but I have a new goal now of 1 mile (1780 I believe). I will continue to practice all yardage but it felt good hearing that BING at 1000 and pass my first goal..

Thought I would share

• Like 5

Congrats Travis, I know first hand how much time, money and effort you put in to truly understanding what it takes to put rounds on target at those distances. The sense of accomplishment is truly deserved. You have proven you have the equipment but just like archery fundamentals come second to none. Keep up the good work.

Speedy.

Congratulations Travis! I can't even imagine trying to see a target at 1000 yards, let alone try to shoot it!

Well done & Congratulations!

I think everyone should get some practice in like this. It makes the 300&400yd stuff much easier and really builds confidence once you understand all the little things it takes to make th elonger shots.

It also makes one shot kills a much more regular event. :ph34r:

Is that like the mile high club, but in a Cessna?

Just kidding. Great shooting.

Awesome!!!

Yeah, 1K+ is addicting. When you can do it on demand, makes it even better. When you can do it with a .25-06 Ackley deer rifle when others can't with $8K tactical rifles, it makes it AWESOME!!!

just purchased new terrunts for my ziess conquest will take me out to 950yrds

The only thing about ballistic matched turrets is they only work at the conditions you design it for. Elevation, temps, angle of shot, barometric pressure, bullet weight, BC, velocity, even humidity all change the ballistics and POI of a round. And some powders are temp sensitive, so will change velocity at different temps (from 95° to 35° makes a big difference), sometimes as much as 75fps.

They will be close under similar conditions, and you can still use a ballistic program and clicks when conditions change.

even when you have a temperature stable powder and the temperature changes so does your speed. In cold weather your chamber will be effected making for slower FPS shots. Just the opposite in hotter weather your speeds will be faster. I get roughly about 20 fps difference just in temperature and that is not my powder. Guns are very fun to play with but you need to test all conditions out. If the wind is howling 20+ mph get out and shoot so you know what happens to your ballistics then. Long range can be very rewarding but I can tell you it never gets any cheaper. I just bought a Sartorius analytical scale and oh my talk about being precise...LOL