capoeirajosh

Exo Mountain vs. Kuiu Icon Pro

Anyone have any experience with any of these packs? Thinking about getting one of these for my next pack. In the exo I was thinking the 5500 model and with the Kuiu the 7200 I believe it is. Right now I have an eberlestock J34. So far it has been good, but there are some things that I am not a fan of with it after using it for a bit. Nothing awful, just personal reasons I guess. New pack will be used for a day pack and also for 3-5 day backpack hunts. Does anyone have any experience with all three of these packs or at least the eberlestock compared to either the Kuiu or Exo?

Yes, I have been looking at the ultras as well. I was concerned about the material though on them. Didn't seem as tough as the icon pros. Do they hold up pretty well out here in AZ with all the brush?

• Like 1

I have been reading reviews on the ultras and am reading quite a bit of negative stuff. Complaints about the hip belt, the material not being tough enough, and the pack not doing well with heavy loads. This doesn't close me off to possibly purchasing this pack in the future, but it is definitely cause for concern.

I have heard a lot of negative with the ultra's as well. .. The Exo is getting good reviews by most, but I know a few very prominent backpacking guys that say this pack is having some pretty big issues. This might be the reason why Steve is so far behind his initial release of the 2nd run. Look at Kifaru too, a little heavier but a solid pack with a phenominal customer service dept.

Wife and I use the Icon Pro and they are by far the best pack we have ever used. I run the 5200 and she uses the 1850. Mind you most of time that woman has about 30LBS or more of antler strapped to it. Great space, comfortable. Tons of pockets, well thought out pack.

Wife and I use the Icon Pro and they are by far the best pack we have ever used. I run the 5200 and she uses the 1850. Mind you most of time that woman has about 30LBS or more of antler strapped to it. Great space, comfortable. Tons of pockets, well thought out pack.

Nice!! Have you used your 5200 on pack hunts at all? If so, how many days can you get out of it out there? Trying to decide if the 5200 or the 7200 would be better for my intended use. 7200 seems so big, but I don't want to end up not having enough room, haha.

The ultras and the icon pros are both rated for 150 lbs. We packed elk qtrs out without a problem. I had the 1800 and my buddy had the 3000. I wish there were more pockets in the ultra. As far as the material not being strong enough, we were in some thick brush and I didnt have a problem.

The ultras and the icon pros are both rated for 150 lbs. We packed elk qtrs out without a problem. I had the 1800 and my buddy had the 3000. I wish there were more pockets in the ultra. As far as the material not being strong enough, we were in some thick brush and I didnt have a problem.

Awesome! Yeah, I hear ya about the pockets on the ultra. That is something that I liked more about the icon pros.

Guest 300ultramag.

Kuiu is soo two weeks ago.. Denim and flannel is the ticket to kill big anything...

• Like 1

Awesome! Yeah, I hear ya about the pockets on the ultra. That is something that I liked more about the icon pros.

You can buy the extra pockets for the icon pack and they fit the ultras. I am going to order a few of them for my pack.

I guess if your not trying to shave pounds for a backpack trip the icon pro would work for you. They weigh a few more pounds than the ultra.

You can buy the extra pockets for the icon pack and they fit the ultras. I am going to order a few of them for my pack.

I guess if your not trying to shave pounds for a backpack trip the icon pro would work for you. They weigh a few more pounds than the ultra.

Cool. Compared to my eberlestock, I am sure it would be like night and day even with an icon pro. My eberlestock is pretty heavy, haha.

I run the 1850 Icon and absolutely love it! Every time i see my buddies with their pack frames, i chuckle a lil... It has a very well thought out pocket design, is very comfortable, and handles a heavy load with no problems at all.

• Like 1

Nice!! Have you used your 5200 on pack hunts at all? If so, how many days can you get out of it out there? Trying to decide if the 5200 or the 7200 would be better for my intended use. 7200 seems so big, but I don't want to end up not having enough room, haha.

We haven't done full trips. We're lucky and hunt in out unit the cabin is in. But did use it on our Wyoming antelope hunt and worked flawlessly. If your doing backpack hunts I would go 7200. And take a frame pack when out hunting. What I really like is the dual water set up so you can do 2 2l or 3l. Also on the outside pouches on both sides they dual zip so you can slide your rifle through and fully cover the scope and secure it. We have went through a lot of packs to finally find one we like. If you want to try it on I can bring it back down.

• Like 2