SheepDreams

If you Could Have Just One...

This question has probably been asked hundreds of times, but here it goes again. I am looking for the best all around rifle. I want something that will handle everything from Coues' deer to elk or maybe even moose. It needs to be light as I hope to someday be able to hunt sheep or high country muleys. Being that it will be light, recoil will be magnified. I never feel the kick when I shoot at an animal, but I like to shoot paper too, and rocks, dirt clods, basically anything that I see to practice. If you were to buy just one all-around rifle, what would it be? Not just caliber, I mean brand, model, barrel length, stock, finish, etc. And what is the budget version of your dream rifle?

300 WM. Bullets range from 55 grs in a sabot, to 250+ to handle everything you go after.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of the .300 WSM. It's just a great all-around rifle. Mine is a Savage 14 American Classic in dark stained walnut with a medium contour matte-finish barrel. I haven't seen another one like it, but it's my go-to rifle.

I have a friend who is an eye doctor and really likes putting together nice rifles - he does a lot of custom wood work and is meticulous when it comes to putting together a great shooting gun. He's also a Zeiss dealer so no rifle goes without a good scope.

He let me borrow his .300 WSM for my 2 sons' youth deer hunt, and I have to say it was one of the sweetest setups I've shot. The gun was a Tikka T3 light in stainless that he had a muzzle break put on by a guy in Heber that matched the barrel perfectly. The same guy did a cerakote coating on the barrel and action in a light gray. It's got a DNZ one-piece scope mount, Zeiss conquest scope with the Rapid Z 800 reticle.

I think he paid around $200 for the break and another $100 for the cerakote and simm's recoil pad - but got a little break on the scope, being a dealer. Overall I'd guess he has around $1300 into this gun and it is just about everything you could want in a gun. Light, accurate, crisp trigger, moderate to light recoil, especially for a .300 magnum and all the benefits of the high BC of 30 caliber bullets.

• Like 2

I'd have to agree with coach on the .300 win mag for that range of species. My opinion is that its a little bit heavy for a coues(but acceptable), but the 300 would definitely be a better choice for elk and certainly for moose. As far as the rifle if it was me,and my budget level, I'd simply get a savage 110 or Remington 700, throw on a decent 4-12x scope and call it good.it would be relatively inexpensive yet great rifle that should be just fine to 400 plus yards no problem,which is further then I like to shoot anyways(thanks a lot bow hunting). I'm sure there are better setups,but none that are more proven for a simple guy on a budget.

.270 ask jack

commercial mauser 98 or pre-64 m70 action with a custom 24" 30/06 barrel. read jack.

i might go with a 26" .280AI just to be contrary.

lee

I would have to go with a remington 700 cdl in 270 with a leupold vx3 4.5-14×40. If I had another it would be the same set up just in 25/06. But a 270 imo is great gun for med size game up large game. It is a good all around cal.

I made this exact decision when I was in college in Idaho. I was rifle hunting animals from rock chucks all the way to elk and applying for moose every year. I was short on cash and had to pick a gun that could do whatever was asked of it. I bought a remington 700 bdl in .300 WM and put a leupold vari-x 3 4.5-14 B&C reticle on it.

Although some day you may be backpacking into the high country I would recommend a standard weight rifle. Lite rifles in erase felt recoil, and if those hunts are once in a lifetime opportunities, my guess is you could deal with the weight. The benefit of being able to comfortably shoot the rifle for years will pay dividends on every hunt you take it on.

I chose the remington 700 for one reason, it is the most common rifle in America and has a selection of accessories and after market upgrades that is un-rivaled. Each year I can take what spending cash I have and make an upgrade and slowly build a custom gun. If buying new, spend the $ right up front to rip out the garbage x-Mark trigger and throw in a timney.

Good luck, I have killed every animal I have hunted with mine during the last 7 years.

• Like 2

6.5-06 ackley, 260 rem, 6.5 creed, 6.5-284. Pick one it don't matter, they will tackle anything you point it at and do so with aplomb. 140gr bullet for everything coyotes to bull elk it can get it done and it doesnt require a brake or 90 grains of powder.

Dont own one but a 308

Yet to kill anything with mine, but my Remington bdl 700 is dream to shoot. I hate rounds that kick the crap out of you.