Tines

Another giant adventure.... (updated w/ pics and finally a STORY!!)

Like many of you, I think about what it takes to find a monster buck and put him on the ground. It consumes much of my thoughts. Probably too much of my thoughts. And the past year would show that it only gets worse as soon as I find one and have to wait until the season begins. What we might fail to recognize is the support that generally goes along with hunting, but in this case, taking a big buck. For me, first and foremost, it's my wife. She puts up with my "non-sense" far more than what she probably should. I'm sure she won't read this but I'm forever grateful to her.

Rarely is one hunter responsible for the actual taking of a big buck. I won't go into details right now but this was no exception. Many times it's from family or close friends. Sometimes it's from friends you never knew you had. I owe a lot of thanks to those personally involved. In every sense I couldn't have done it without you guys!

I'll share more later.....

Enjoy!

post-500-0-13819600-1414414981_thumb.jpg

Here's a few more pictures of the buck in velvet. He actually had a few more weeks if growing after these pics were taken.

post-500-0-46627300-1414856535.png

post-500-0-92870000-1414856518.png

post-500-0-95421700-1414856568.png

This is as short, but to the point, as I could make it. Hope you enjoy.
I'd been watching this buck for about almost a year now. I burned lots of calories, fuel, time, bonus points, batteries, amongst other things, so I could keep tabs on the buck. I got hundreds of pictures of him and some pretty great video of him in 2013 and 2014. He was such a cool buck to follow over the year!
Opening day came around and my buddy Mark would be joining me. He had a tag as well but he graciously fore-fitted the first couple of days of his hunt to help me on mine.

We felt like we had this buck patterned pretty good so when we didn't see him opening morning, we weren't too nervous. Finally, at 330 p.m., we found the buck and he's working his way down the slope like he'd done the two previous days. I made my way off the mountain and got as close as possible before the terrain wouldn't allow me a shot. This buck looked so big at 550yds through the binos but I tried to ignore that. I laid down prone and dialed my rifle in. The steep angle and rangefinder had me shoot for 495 yards. The buck was bedded and slightly quartered away as I squeezed the trigger. The shot felt good but as I came back down on where the buck was bedded, he was gone. The reaction of the smaller buck, which I could still see, made me think the buck was still there and potentially hit. I watched the smaller buck feed in the same place until dark with no sign of the big buck. I finally made it back to Mark and he relayed what he saw. We were pretty sure we had a buck hit low and back. Mark said the big buck was still alive at dark so we decided against walking through with flashlights and just wait until the morning.

The next morning we found ourselves glassing for both bucks (knowing they'd been hanging together religiously over the past few months. About an hour and a half into glassing, we found the smaller buck exactly where we left them the night before. The more we glassed and didn't see the bigger buck, the more excited I started to get. Then, to my surprise, the big buck was up! I couldn't believe it. The buck hadn't moved from where he bedded the night before (as best as we knew) for more than 12 hrs. After watching the buck only go maybe 10 yards in 45 minutes and in obvious distress that morning, we knew we had the buck for good and just needed to finish him off. I took off after him and got about 100 yards from where I was going to finally shoot. I think I had a permanent smile during the hike over, knowing it wasn't long before I'd get to wrap my hands around the buck I thought about on a daily basis since we found him a year ago. Hard work had seriously paid off....until the unthinkable happened.

I heard two shots ring out not far from me. I instantly got a sick feeling in my stomach as my phone started ringing in my pocket. We hadn't seen a soul in here!! I looked, it was Mark calling. I didn't want to answer because I feared the worst. I answered. "Please tell me that was you??", he said. I think deep down he knew it wasn't me but was hoping it was. After finding out it wasn't me, the words I knew were coming next, but I wasn't prepared to EVER hear was, "dude, somebody just killed your buck..."

I think I sort of had an out of body experience at this moment. I knew it was real, but just couldn't believe what was going on. I literally just started running towards the shots, not even knowing what I was going to say to this hunter when I found him. I whistled, and thankfully, he whistled back. During this time a glimmer of hope came in as a second phone call came from Mark. "The buck is back up, he's still alive!!", he said. I then started moving faster and finally made my way through the trees, completely gassed, and saw two guys (one behind a rifle and the other behind the glass). I yelled "Stop shooting, that buck is already hit!!". I recognized the shooter as a well known Coues deer hunter named Roger Cook. And a short time later, found out that the spotter was his brother, Terry. Unbelievable!

I'll never forget the confusion on their faces as I'm sure they won't forget mine too. I managed to get it out one more time "I hit the buck in the gut last night!". About this time, Terry sees the buck slowly step out and he relays this to Roger. Roger gets behind his rifle to shoot the buck and at this point I basically beg him to reconsider pulling the trigger. Amazingly, he backed away from the rifle and let me plead my case, all the while knowing they had every right to kill this buck. Talk about a predicament!

We came to the conclusion that the buck wasn't going anywhere but we needed to take care of him ASAP. I mentioned to the both of them that if the buck was NOT hit in the gut, he was their buck. But if he was hit where I think he was, to please consider the circumstances and the fact that I was minutes from finishing him off before they started shooting. Their consideration and respect was of the highest level of sportsmanship I've ever heard of, let alone been a part of. Especially with a buck like this. After considering everything, I'll never forget to this day something Roger said. "My name means more to me than a buck.." It's difficult to articulate the predicament we were in. Although he had never seen the buck prior to the hunt beginning, he knew exactly the caliber of buck he was looking at, and potentially letting go.
Roger and I headed up the mountain to go after the buck. We finally made it up and across from the ravine from where the buck was. Through the only lane we had, the buck stood there broadside and allowed me to put one final bullet through him. Terry met us about the same time over to the buck. I think we admired the buck before we even started to break down where he was hit. I hit the buck low and back, like Mark and I suspected. The wound was obviously older and the old blood on the mountainside made it clear that it was an older hit. After taking it all in, Roger stuck his hand out and congratulated me. I know this wasn't easy for him. But for what it's worth, it was the hardest "acceptance" of a buck I've ever had to do.

I do want to point out that although I believe this buck would not have survived very long based on where I hit him, Roger and Terry had every reason to believe the buck was fair game. They did what all of us would have done after glassing up a big buck standing on a hillside- move as fast as possible for a shot. But what sets these two apart is that they stopped to consider the circumstances in the heat of the moment and take a look at the big picture. I know a lot of people who wouldn't do that. I can't thank them enough and although I hope I'm NEVER in that situation again, if I am, I hope I can remember that "MY name is more important than a buck".
You might be wondering where Roger hit the buck. One of Roger's bullets entered just in front of the eye (through the nasal cavity) on one side and exited out the orbital bone on the other- completely knocking the buck out cold but thankfully not damaging anything. Which is why we initially thought the buck was dead. I KNOW Roger's a much better shot than that but we all have our days (not that I'm super proud of where I hit the buck either).
They both helped me quarter the buck out and carry him down the slope to where Terry left his pack. I filtered some water for them and we parted ways (although I'm positive it won't be our last encounter with the other). Mark met me half way to the truck with our camp on his back. I can't thank him enough for the help he was during this hunt as well. Although he may have only been a glorified spotter and pack mule, I'm grateful for him and hope to return the favor some day.

I know I won't ever forget this. I can only hope that you guys will share it with as many people as possible so "the message" gets out and is louder than the buck.

The buck also taped out at 120 4/8"

• Like 30

Congrats on a great buck. Thats a fantastic trophy shot too. It really shows when you take the time to get a good picture.

Just curious this same pic is posted by Rimrick guide or outfitter. Am I missng something? Awesome buck regardless