Sign in to follow this  
AZ RANGER

Backpacking Buck

Just wanted to share a few pics of my hunt. We decided to hunt a new area this year and although I was skeptical at first I am glad we did. I was able to take a buck that I am very happy with.

Our Camp: This was my second time trying to sleep in a hammock. I am still not completely sold on it, but its not bad.

image_zpsb1b65df2.jpg

Some awesome fall colors:

image_zps53e0b7fb.jpg

I ended up shooting this buck on the second morning. We saw another nice buck and several small bucks on the opener but this one was a no brainer for me.

image_zpsea2740ab.jpg

image_zps4340eb5f.jpg

image_zps6dedd458.jpg

Big thanks to my good buddy Aaron for all his help. We have been on some great hunts together over the years, and this was no different.

image_zpsab417da2.jpg

We had originally planned to camp near this spring but opted to stay up high so we could be closer to our glassing area. We ran out of water quicker that expected though and this was a welcome site on the way out.

image_zps2cde28b9.jpg

image_zps42a8a893.jpg

• Like 16

What a cool deal, congrats on a successful trip. I seem to have slept pretty well in a hammock over the years for nooner type naps in camp, might have to give that a try for an overnighter. The two person tent we carry around weighs in right at 4 pounds plus whatever my inflatable sleeping pad weighs.... Always looking to cut weight!

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

That is a great Buck! Congrats.

Great buck. Sounds like a fun hunt. How far did you pack in? And how long did you stay? I always think about doing a backpack hunt but wonder how far people go in.

Wow nice buck Scotty. Good job man.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. We were only packed in about 1.5 miles but it was a rough 1.5 miles. We only stayed two days. We came out after tagging this buck.

The pack is the Outdoorsmans optic hunter.

Nice, congrats, perfect example that "packing in" doesn't mean you have to go 10+ miles to have a great hunt! Thx for sharing.

DAN