Sign in to follow this  
WalkingW

Anyone ever get a Coues with a flintlock?

Just thinking if there was anyone that knows of anyone getting a coues with a flintlock someone here would know. So lets hear about it? I was lucky enough to take a nice buck with a flinter and would like to know how many others have been able to get one with their flintlock. I will post pictures of my buck when I get a way to get pics on the computer.

I have a good friend the solely hunts with a flintlock and has killed a few great deer. Maybe he will chime in and show a few pics.

"I never have,but what kind of effective range do you get with a flintlock?",,,,,,,,,,,,

The easy answer to your question is the same effective range as a percussion rifle with the same barrel and load.

I never hunted an Arizona whitetail with a flintlock, but I did shoot several Texas Hill Country deer with the first muzzleloader I built from parts from Dixie Gun Works and a piece of walnut from a tree we cut on the ranch we hunted. This flintlock was as close as I could make it to one of the guns shown in a book on "Golden Age" "Kentucky" long rifles.

I haven't kept up with what's available in contemporary muzzleloading rifles. When they made them look like modern rifles, put scopes on them, and increased their range way past the 75-range that limited nineteenth century hunters, I lost interest and went back to using centerfires.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2