Elkaddict

A dream mule deer buck.

The 2014 draw results were out and I got drawn for mule deer unit 5, it's where my cabin is and an area I could spend a lot of time looking for a good buck.

The problem with this area has been that when I glass a big buck, and I will see 1 or 2 throughout the summer, I will never see him again.

I wasn't going to shoot anything but big. My hunting partner Dusty and I were lucky to spot a great buck 10 days before the season and was able to find him 3-4 times before the season.

Opening morning I glassed him at 6:15, 1 mile away. Believe me 6:15 is still dark! We put the spotting scope on him ,and when it gathered enough light , confirmed it was the one. We watched the buck go into some trees and to our amazement bedded at 6:30AM.

We formulated a plan and by 7:00 I was on my way over to set up for a shot. I got to a spot where the wind would be good and I would have shooting opportunities of 450 to 500 yds. Shooting a 300 Win Mag which has been shot out to a 1000yds with amazing accuracy. So I was comfortable.

I say comfortable, I guess that's relative. After I had been there for an hour I decided to do an inventory of my pack. I found I had no water and several packages of granola bars for food. Dry granola for the long run is not the best.

Several times during the day Dusty would give me a radio check and tell me things like "he got up and turned around and laid back down" or "he got up and moved to the next tree". It was a long day.

After the sun went down I finally saw him come out walking directly towards me. He turned broadside and I checked the range at 480 yards. A final adjustment on the reticule and I was ready.

When I shot I got back in the scope and didn't see him. Dusty radioed and said I hit him and he walked behind the tree we had been using as a landmark throughout the day.

Light was fading so I took off to look for blood. When I got to where I could see the tree he busted out. I had just enough time to go to the tree and with my flashlight found blood.

I made it down with a light and not knowing what kind of hit I had decided to get on the blood trail in the morning. Found him within 100 yds.

Had him boned out and ready to pack by 9:00.

I have several nice to great coues but this was my first really good mule deer. Gross scored with a little trash at 181" w/ a 27" inside spread. Couldn't be happier.

post-1600-0-27330700-1414951362_thumb.jpg

post-1600-0-34524900-1414951397_thumb.jpg

post-1600-0-45824800-1414951740_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Really great buck and good recap of your hunt. Congratulations on your first big mulie!

Real nice Buck! Congrats.

Great buck! Congrats!

In that first picture, is your buck bedded somewhere you can point out?

Great buck! Congrats!

In that first picture, is your buck bedded somewhere you can point out?

He is back in this area.

post-1600-0-82267300-1414958253_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Cool. Always like to see the perspective from the shooters point of view. Thanks for sharing.