WalkingW

My Flintlock Buck

Congratulations on your flintlock buck! And what a beauty too! Very cool. Is that your first with a flintlock?

Very cool and nice looking buck!

This is the second buck with my flintlock. My first was a spike years ago with one that was built in 1840s. I hunt with a rifle that was built in 1852-1854 the most that is a caplock I love this rifle but it came time to retire it a year ago so I have been trying different rifles for a replacement. This rifle was built by a good friend in 1960s and he gave it to me last year. I have a two inch group with it at sixty yards of shooting sticks and a three inch group with a rock solid rest, tons of time and no wind at a hundred yards. There are guys that are way better with a flintlock than I that are good enough they don’t even use safety glasses and still punch paper all day at a 100 yards offhand! The biggest issue I have with the old rifles and round balls is they wind drift like mad.

This buck is one that my wife really wanted but she only had one day to hunt and never seen this buck. I passed this buck up on the archery hunt for a buck that just vanished after I missed him. I had this buck walk right up a buck that I had slipped up on and was just watching "he was way to young". I was actually about ready to try to sneak out and go glass the point next when I spotted him walking in. So I just sat there in the open on my butt and waited for him to give the shot then I was going back and forth with myself if I wanted to shoot him or not when the rifle went off and took out the top of his heart.

• Like 4

Now that is one of the coolest posts on this site in a long time. Congrats. Way cool.

Brian

• Like 2