Sign in to follow this  
SpotNStalk

Any buff hits?

I wish!!!!!!!!!!!! With 13 pts I'm still a long ways away from getting a tag:(

I'm curious as to which buffalo hunts most of you are putting in for. I have always been afraid of the Kaibab one due to terrain/proximity to the national park etc. It seems like many of the successful hunters are using a guide. I put in for the Raymond ranch one for like the 30th time in my life.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I checked my CC on Wednesday. A $650 charge! I only put in for the first two Buff hunts during the summer at House Rock since I am a teacher and I would have the entire hunt available. I am very blessed to draw this tag but I know it will be one of the tougher hunts I've been on. So far, it's looking like I will have to do it solo since it is an 8+ hour trip from my home in Safford,AZ. I will resort to begging some of my hunting buddies and promise to fill their freezers if we are lucky enough to tag out. No matter the challenge, I am going to make the best of this once in a lifetime. I have never seen the Grand Canyon let alone hunt the fabled Kaibab. It sounds like a majority of the buffs have migrated to the national park and it has resulted in very low hunter success. I am hoping that they move out of the park in the summer to begin preparation for breeding.

This is a plea to all CWT members:If anyone has any experience with the summer limited opportunity buffalo hunt out of House Rock please P.M. me and I would appreciate any info. I could benefit from any information about affordable lodging,glassing positions for herd location in the hottest parts of the summer, migration patterns,processing tips,etc. I would love to hire a guide but again I am a public school teacher and just don't have the funds. The cost of the hunt alone will stretch my families budget but luckily I have a wife that is more than understanding regarding my passion of hunting and the outdoors. I will allow myself the entire two weeks if necessary be successful at filling my tag. If anyone else draws this tag and needs a partner feel free to P.M. me and we could team up. This sounds like a hunt that requires a group effort and solo would be a daunting task with a good change for meat loss which to me would be inexcusable.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I checked my CC on Wednesday. A $650 charge! I only put in for the first two Buff hunts during the summer at House Rock since I am a teacher and I would have the entire hunt available. I am very blessed to draw this tag but I know it will be one of the tougher hunts I've been on. So far, it's looking like I will have to do it solo since it is an 8+ hour trip from my home in Safford,AZ. I will resort to begging some of my hunting buddies and promise to fill their freezers if we are lucky enough to tag out. No matter the challenge, I am going to make the best of this once in a lifetime. I have never seen the Grand Canyon let alone hunt the fabled Kaibab. It sounds like a majority of the buffs have migrated to the national park and it has resulted in very low hunter success. I am hoping that they move out of the park in the summer to begin preparation for breeding.

This is a plea to all CWT members:If anyone has any experience with the summer limited opportunity buffalo hunt out of House Rock please P.M. me and I would appreciate any info. I could benefit from any information about affordable lodging,glassing positions for herd location in the hottest parts of the summer, migration patterns,processing tips,etc. I would love to hire a guide but again I am a public school teacher and just don't have the funds. The cost of the hunt alone will stretch my families budget but luckily I have a wife that is more than understanding regarding my passion of hunting and the outdoors. I will allow myself the entire two weeks if necessary be successful at filling my tag. If anyone else draws this tag and needs a partner feel free to P.M. me and we could team up. This sounds like a hunt that requires a group effort and solo would be a daunting task with a good change for meat loss which to me would be inexcusable.

Better hire a guide or atleast a crew from the Home Depot parking lot so the meat doesn't spoil. A dead buffalo is nothing to mess around with in the heat.

• Like 1

" It sounds like a majority of the buffs have migrated to the national park and it has resulted in very low hunter success. I am hoping that they move out of the park in the summer to begin preparation for breeding."

Massimo, all 20 of the spring bull tags were filled this year, including mine, and a good number of the " limited opportunity" hunts through the summer such as yours. The buffalo actually tend to move out of the park MORE in the summer, in search of water, and their kryptonite, salt. If you do your homework, and spend the full hunt up there, your chances are very good! Especially if you're gun hunting, I know of a guy who killed his cow with a recurve this summer!

Fell free to pm me if you want to talk, I would be happy to share what I know.

• Like 1

I just got back from a hunt up on the North Kaibab. The Game and Fish had a clinic for us. This was the best 4 hours I could have spent in scouting. We got tons of information on the unique nature of the House Rock Herd and how it drifts in and out of the Park. There has been a lot of success this late summer and fall up there. I harvested mine on Saturday after 9 days in the field.

I just got back from a hunt up on the North Kaibab. The Game and Fish had a clinic for us. This was the best 4 hours I could have spent in scouting. We got tons of information on the unique nature of the House Rock Herd and how it drifts in and out of the Park. There has been a lot of success this late summer and fall up there. I harvested mine on Saturday after 9 days in the field.

Congrats, but where are the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend got one probably close to 20 years ago. He said the head alone weighed around 100 pounds. He and his brother cut it up while another friend did nothing but sharpen knives.