Sign in to follow this  
218buck

TESSA'S FIRST COUES

After my daughter Tessa and myself were both unsuccessful for the deer draw this year we both reapplied for the second draw. I was lucky enough to get drawn for 36b along with a friend of mine that had hunted the unit on several occasions. I have been so busy with work I failed to notice the date on the tag was for November 7 - 13 . When I called my buddy Aaron to tell him the hunt was less than a week away he told me know it was the following Friday he had looked at the mule deer hunt accidentally. He had a commitment for the Saturday of the opening weekend. We were going to back pack into an area he had hunted before and had some success. I was talking to my wife about the hunt when my 13 year old daughter came running into the room letting me know that I could not go with out her. I explained how hard of a hunt it was going to be having to pack into an area and just how much it demanded. She was determined she told me she would do what ever it took as long as I would sign my tag over to her. Seeing how excited she was to go and that she was willing to do what ever it would take I told her ok she already had gotten my buffalo tag from this year what was one more. After telling Aaron what I was planning on doing he decided that we should camp close to the main road and travel the 20 plus miles back to another hunting spot that he new o in his ranger. We did not leave town till after 9 on Saturday night by the time we arrived and unloaded it was 12:30 A.M. Before I new it we were bouncing down the road towards are destination. We glassed all morning found a buck but he made it over the hill before we get situated for a shot as the day went on we spotted a few does and fawns. Around 4:30 I glassed up 4 bucks on a nearby hill we made a plan and were soon in route headed for the bucks, when we peeked up over the hill to see were they were at they were gone we soon figured out why another hunter was walking the ridge right above were they had been. What a disappointment we continued to look for them but the sun was starting to sink fast as we topped the next hill we had a buck and doe take off from right below us, the buck never presented a good shot so we walked back to the ranger and went back to camp. Monday morning we headed back to the same hill we had been on the day before after parking and getting on are packs we discovered that Aarons son Colters back pack came out of the ranger it had a new pair of bino's and a outdoorsman tripod. He told us he was going back to look for the pack and would catch up to us shortly. After the hike into are glassing spot I was soon looking over the same country as the day before in hopes of relocating the 4 bucks. After not seeing anything up moving I soon started looking for any sign of bedded deer. The good man upstairs must of been listening to my prayers because I immediately found a buck bedded on the same hill that buck from yesterday was on we already new the distance 350 yards. I put the claw on the tripod set the turret cranked up the night force scope to 25 power Tessa was telling me to hurry up and get out of her way. She told me she had him and was ready I told her ok I was watching through my swarovskis she shot and the deer didn't even move the shot had killed it instantly. Aaron got there just as we finished taking pictures and field dressing it he volunteered to pack the deer out he put the whole deer on his pack and in know time we were back at camp loading up. This is Tessa's fifth big game animal she has killed this year we both have elk tags for the end of the month. She is starting to really come into her own I could not be more proud of her. I need to thank my Heavenly Father and my beautiful wife for allowing me to do these things with out them none of it would be possible. Also I want to thank Aaron for inviting me on this hunt.

post-7688-0-05480600-1415670354_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

take a bow, you deserve it as a great father...

congrats to your daughter on a fine coues buck

Wow, that is a great first deer...that is a great deer regardless! Nothing better then kids having some success, congratulations to you and your dad.

So funny...she was telling you to hurry up and get out of the way...lol She is coming into her own quite nicely :)

Beautiful buck and it was very nice you gave her your tag!

Outstanding!!!! VERY awesome! Congrats to Tessa, and kudos to you for sharing the great outdoors and hunting experience with her! Nothing beats hunting with your kids!!

Thanks for sharing with the site!

S.

:)