Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

36A success

Due to my sons jr WT hunt in Oct, followed by my cow elk in in Oct I didn't have any time for any pre-scouting for my 36A Muley hunt. I was tickled pink that I received a tag but knew it was going to be a very tough hunt since there were 1200+ combined back to back WT/Muley hunts and hearing that some of the ranches had locked the gates for access into that area. Got up super early and hit the road from camp and made it to spot I had seen mule deer about 3 yrs ago. I know what your thinking, 3 years seems like a long time. Oh well, it's a start. I immediately see some WT across a canyon and start to really focus in the deep ravine. I pull out the 15's and start scanning way off in the distance and notice some pigs. I hear some shots to the east and start glassing that way, I noticed 2 hunters along top of a ridge about 500 yds off. They settle on a rock and start glassing the canyon I am in. I look toward the pigs again and notice the rear end of a mule deer duck into a small ravine. No idea what gender but knew it was a Muley. The two other hunters head toward the recent shots and headed east. I never saw the Muley exit the canyon so I knew it was either bedded or feeding slowly. I pack up and headed that direction. I get to the base of this small hill knowing the ravine is just up the way. As I caress the top, I get behind some mesquites and slowly start looking into the bottom. Nothing, must be bedded. I move along the the top and whamo, a deer pops up and antlers start to shine/glimmer in the sunlight. As most mule deer do, it proceeds to bounce away. I line up and squeeze the trigger, the bullet hits him in the ® front shoulder. He buckles and slows way down, he stops behind an ocotillo and I shoot again, shot above him and he trots off again. Third shot and he goes down. Found out that the shots I heard earlier were from a buddy of mine in the next canyon over. We had a total of 6 tags and we filled 3 opening morning. I was very pleased with the outcome on this late of a hunt.

post-2173-0-07155800-1416179419_thumb.jpg

post-2173-0-01592800-1416179439_thumb.jpg

Congrats! I just got back from 36 b mule deer with a tiny 2x2. I heard a lot of shots from you guys in 36a

That was the year of gettin er done