Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

First Javelina

I told my wife's family and extended family a while ago that, if they ever had a desire to go hunting, just let me know and I would help them try it out. I haven't forced the issue, but over the last few years I've been able to take a few of my in-laws out. My father-in-law joins me on the HAM hunt every year now, and he has had a deer tag the last three years. We enjoy the time together.

At a family gathering in September my wife's sixteen year old cousin approached me and asked if I would take her hunting...that she wanted to see what it was like. I drove down to Game and Fish the next day and got her a leftover junior pig tag.

Over the last few months she has been texting and calling me with questions and showing real interest. I only had time to get her to the range once, but she proved to be a great shot. Today was the day to put it all to the test.

My buddy Kent accepted my plea to come along as an extra set of eyes. Due to other commitments, we only had today to get it done.

We left my place at 4:30am and parked the truck by about 7:30. We took a moderately strenuous hike to a new glassing point I wanted to check out. I hadn't realized how quickly I move up the slopes and through the desert plants until I noticed how often we had to slow down for the rookie. I felt bad. She carried a lot of cactus spines up and down the mountain, and walked very gingerly, but she hung in there.

No sooner did we arrive at our glassing point than Kent glassed up a herd of pigs 500 yards out...freehand...with 8x Pentax binos. She and I prepared for the stalk:

IMG_20141121_083610_zpse8d90e3a.jpg

It took us about 30 minutes to set up, but we found ourselves roughly 75 to 130 yards from a herd of pigs that was spread out along the ridge in above a wash and just outside of their heavily-used bedding area. We set the rifle up on a tripod and spent the next 12 minutes trying to get her a good shot. The herd didn't know we were there, but they sure seemed to have an uncanny sense for not standing broadside or obscuring their vitals behind vegetation. I was filming the whole time, hoping to get all the action on camera.

Finally, a handful of pigs worked into the open. The one that was most exposed and that stood out the most was broadside at 75 yards. "Do you see that one?" I asked her? "Yes" she said. "Shoot him" I whispered. I just had time to adjust the camera when the shot rang out. Odd...the pig didn't flinch and I didn't see a bullet strike the slope? "You need to shoot again!" "Are you sure? I think I got it." "Yes, shoot again!" "Um...Okay?"

A split second before she pulled the trigger I noticed that there was a nearly dead pig thrashing on the ground 10 yards to the left of the pig I had been watching. I didn't have time to stop her before she let another bullet fly. That one also found its mark. If I had known which pig she was aiming for, I would have suggested she try for something larger, but she was excited at the results, and I was excited for her. The entry wounds were within about an inch of each other. The first one destroyed the heart, and the second one made sure there weren't any pieces of it left. She's a little deadeye, even under pressure.

As it turns out, the pig she shot was literally two feet out of the frame of what I was filming. If I ever figure out how to download, format, and then upload the video, I will share it anyways as it's the best 12 minutes of "aim for that pig...no wait...try for that one...dang, why doesn't he turn broadside?" you'll ever see.

The pigs didn't seem to know what rifle shots were, as they all hung around for some time. All in all, there were more than 20 pigs in the herd. They spend a lot of time in that area, so we'll be back. She says she can't wait to do it again. Good thing, because my credit card was charged for a spring junior tag that will come with her name on it.

IMG_1642_zps04527915.jpg

• Like 2

Well done! And would you look at that trigger control! Way to be a great ambassador to our beloved sport!

Truly awesome you helped her in her quest. That smile says it all. Good job and congratulations to you both!

Look at her smile, priceless! Great job on the javelina!

Very nice, congratulations to her and you as well for taking her.

Stupid exam...I will try to make that spring hunt if you still need help.

Congrats!