4Falls

Meatgrinders

I use a hand held. We don't buy burger from the store anymore because of cost and buy from the local butcher. I can grind 20 lbs in about 25 minutes (with the wife helping me to bring cold meat out as I grind) it'll grind semi frozen or thaws meat. When using thawed I have to add a handful of ice every few pounds or I get mushy pink slime. My busted up elbow tells me to buy electric but my wallet says I'm ok with what I got.

I just took deer to have it ground . I delivered the meat on a saturday and picked it up on sunday morning. 120 #s , and the cost was $150. I had the same guy grind some elk meat last year. So I am interested in knowing how much a guy should pay for a grinder. I have an old hand grinder, but im tired.

I had a hand grinder for a week then I bought a electric one. You guys are tough son's of guns that use hand grinders!!!!!

LEM is the way to go, buy anyone that is rated by horse power from what I was told. I had bought the .25 horsepower one, got a little warm after processing a coues, so I upgraded to the .75 horsepower and am very happy. It will grind as fast as you can feed it. Plus the .75 one has a larger opening to feed the meat through!

I still will bring elk to have processed, but id like to start doing my own deer and javies and whatever else. May have to look at the .75 horse ones.

Thanks

I can't say enough about processing your own meat. Have been doing all of my own for a while now and I will say. Seeing the meat through every step of the process is not only rewarding and and additive to the experience of the hunt, but knowing that I am getting every ounce out of my kill, and keeping it clean and up to MY standards from the field to the freezer is worth any amount of time and money. That being said I use a cabelas .75 horse grinder and It has been more than adequate.

• Like 2

A 1/2 hp grinder is sufficient for the avg hunter, don't even need one that size but it will speed up the process if you are doing a couple animals. For years I used a Krupps counter-top model that ran about $100, still use it for 15 lbs or less of meat. The big industrial grinders are great just a pain to move around, mine weighs almost 75 lbs. It's nice tho when I am processing an elk or a couple elk, can have a 50 lb batch double ground in about 15 minutes.

• Like 2

I still will bring elk to have processed, but id like to start doing my own deer and javies and whatever else. May have to look at the .75 horse ones.

Thanks

Keep an eye on Cabelas. They have good sales on those this time of yr. I know when I bought my 3/4 hp from there I got $100 off. Trust me with the 3/4 ull burn right through a whole elks worth of burger. No reason to pay anyone. He11 if you wanna borrow mine to try it out ur more than welcome.

• Like 1

The grinders marketed by both Cabelas and Bass Pro are made by Lem. They are excellent. The 3/4 HP will grind anything you need and do it quickly. With each increase in HP, the weight of the unit goes up. Some guys buy very large heavy grinders that sit in a closet everyday but one per year. Take a serious look at the smaller stainless steel Lem grinders. Plan a few hours, a few cold ones and a good game on the TV, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

Wow thats quite an offer el diablo. Thanks ill keep it in mind for my next harvest if I haven't picked one up by then.

Ill start looking for one now. Good advice from you all.

I recently took this LEM grinder in trade: http://www.lemproducts.com/product/mighty-bite-8-grinder/butcher-meat-grinders

I got about 19# of grind (@20% pork fat) from a sow javelina and made several italian sausages and some chorizo. Not including the meat prep, the grind time took like 10 minutes tops. Really pleased with the set up and it made the job fun and easy.

Previously I used the grinder attachment you can purchase for a Kitchen Aide mixer...it worked but it was pretty slow and made the job a hassle so like a few other I ended up taking meat I had butchered off my animals and having a butcher grind it. Looking forward to doing it all on my own from here on out.

• Like 1

bite the bullet and get a good one. we have the biggest one cabelas offers. i think it's 1 3/4 hp. whatever, it's their biggest one. i wouldn't mind having a bigger one. there is a placed called industries in an industrial park south between 1-10 and the airport that sells commercial grinders. but most of them are 220 and some are 3 phase. with the cabelas grinder we bought the burger tube equipment and the tape dispenser. everything was around a grand. if you and your bunch hunt much you can save that much in a season. and you know what you're getting and can cut it up the way "YOU" like it. we also got a couple of the real good vacuum packers. i learned how to butcher years ago in a butcher shop in a grocery store so i have a leg up. but it ain't all that hard to master. at least to get good enough to please yourself. and then you can start makin' all kindsa stuff like venison chorizo and elk brats and sausage and on and on. it's a little spendy, but get a big grinder. once you do you'll always be happy with what you get back from the butcher. Lark.

bite the bullet and get a good one. we have the biggest one cabelas offers. i think it's 1 3/4 hp. whatever, it's their biggest one. i wouldn't mind having a bigger one. there is a placed called industries in an industrial park south between 1-10 and the airport that sells commercial grinders. but most of them are 220 and some are 3 phase. with the cabelas grinder we bought the burger tube equipment and the tape dispenser. everything was around a grand. if you and your bunch hunt much you can save that much in a season. and you know what you're getting and can cut it up the way "YOU" like it. we also got a couple of the real good vacuum packers. i learned how to butcher years ago in a butcher shop in a grocery store so i have a leg up. but it ain't all that hard to master. at least to get good enough to please yourself. and then you can start makin' all kindsa stuff like venison chorizo and elk brats and sausage and on and on. it's a little spendy, but get a big grinder. once you do you'll always be happy with what you get back from the butcher. Lark.

You work up any good javelina recipes using that grinder Lark?

You do not need to go any bigger than the .35hp LEM for what you are wanting to do. Mine has handled everything from sausage to processing an elk with ease. Never a problem and it's easy to carry with you to camp as long as you have electric. :)

TJ

• Like 2