Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

Mountaneering/hiking boots vs popular hunting boots

My meindls are about worn out. they'll probably survive through January but surely won't be alive come august. So I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. I've been reading a bit about boots made by asolo, la sportiva, vasque, scarpa and a few others and I thought id get some input from people who frequent the same type of terrain that I do. Does anybody regularly use boots made by any of these boot makers? If so how do they compare to the more popular western hunting boots like meindl, kenetrek, crispi, etc....? I just wonder if I'm actually getting my money's worth when I buy any of the boots made for western hunters. Spending $300-400 on boots every year or two is getting old and I'd like to expand my options a little bit to make sure that I'm getting my money's worth. I'm open to any other boot opinions that people may have also. I spend most of my time in typical rugged coues country with moderate loads, and the occasional heavy load. My boots see a lot of miles every season and typically don't last long. Help me spend my money wisely! Thanks in advance for any input.

Creed

Kennetrek Mountain Extremes 400 g. Wife and i both use them and are amazing

I wear lowa boots and will probably not change brands ever again. I started wearing them at work as a wild land firefighter and loved them so much they became my hunting boot. But la sportiva is good as I know a lot of people who use them and from what I've heard, the new kennetrek brand boots seem ok.

If anyone is interested, I have a very lightly used pair of the La Sportiva WLFs that I will sell, size 10.5. I purchased them from the Hiking shack a couple summers ago and by the time if figured out that they were to small, it was to late to return them. They have probably 5 miles on them and the are currenty sitting in their box in the closet.

Made in italy vasque boots are outstanding! but most made in china.. the backpacking moutaineering italian vasque boots good to go.

My favorite az boot is the Danner elk hunter at Cabellas around $330 now I believe but my foot has outgrown them.. they have the airbob sole which is not designed for desert cuz kinda wears quick in rocks but you will think your spider man the traction is that good. resole totally worth the traction and how quiet they are!

** many of the sweet italian made boots also have kinda narrow lasts. :(

****I now where KEEN which are designed knowing your feet will swell.

I managed a popular outdoors and then was regional manager for a Red wing where we also sold vasque since they are red wing. vasque used to make italian insulated tall hunt boots! not so sure they do so anymore

New balance makes some great hiking shoes. Cheap to. I made the mistake of spending big bucks on boots that suck. I usually wear hiking shoes/boots. And then some heavy duty boots for the cold and snow.

I am going to stop by Red Wing today and look at the Vasque and see if they come in 4E.

Well that was a waste of time. I did try on some Keens at REI that fit good but they were only like a 6" hikeing shoe. I'm not so sure they would give enough support for my style of hunting.

Fit first, brand last.

I use both Vasque and Meindls. The Meindl Perfekt Hunters I use are the only bested by the Cabela's Meindl Winter 800's now called "Ice Norther Explorer" I use for really cold weather hunts. I only use the Meindls for hunting to make them last while I rotate the two pairs of Vasuqes Summits I own for my conditioning hikes. The Vasques are good for a couple of years, but the older ones were better as they had rubber covering on the toe box. I have put "toe guard" on all three pairs of boots and so far so good. Either Vasque or Meindl is good in my opinion, but I would go with the Meindl's if I could only own one pair of boots.

I use Vasque because they fit me so well and are only bettered by the Meindls. The Vasques are less $$ so they are fine for work outs and so I can save my high $$ boots for the real thing. The most important thing is the fit so try a bunch of brands on and don't skimp on the cost as you do get what you pay for. I like Keen's for around town, but I bet the desert would kill them fast. I like Danners, but my foot is too wide or their toe box too small for me. YMMV

Kennetrek sounds like something worth trying as they have an uninsulated model that is like my Meindl Winter 800's with a rubber surround. If I wear out my Meindl's I'll give the Kennetreks a serious look.

Good luck and let us know what you chose and why.

• Like 2

I switched from danner to lowas. I love the weight and the feel. I wore the stitching off of the toes the first January I used them. Maybe ten day days of hunting. Brought them back to sumit hut and they replaced them. They recommended staying on trails. I wore the next pair out it the same place during my spring bear hunt. I was on trails most of the time. I glued them and wore them on my Colorado hunt. I got 47 miles out of them. I like the way they felt but the $230 ones just didn't last. I would like to try the ones they make for lathrop and sons. Right now I am back using danners.

I am going to stop by Red Wing today and look at the Vasque and see if they come in 4E.

Majority of vasque uses "variable fit system" so different size insoles in same last. I believe some italian made come in B, D, EE ?? been a while! most of what you see in stores in china vasque.. I had some $600 italian made mountaineering vasque that were no joke.

Are you a true 4e or are you a guy that wears size 12 4e and should be in a 13e ?? or 14d?? Gotta ask cuz probably 9 out 10 guys that request 4e are not really that wide they have just been wearing wrong size their whole life. :)

Majority of vasque uses "variable fit system" so different size insoles in same last. I believe some italian made come in B, D, EE ?? been a while! most of what you see in stores in china vasque.. I had some $600 italian made mountaineering vasque that were no joke.

+1 on this. I'd been wearing 10s and 10.5s for ever but could never get them in the right width. Last year, finally, the salesgal says "maybe your an eleven?". Eureka.