jgraffaz

fixed blade or mechanical broad heads ?!?

I can't decide to shoot a mechanical or fixed blade broad head, there are pros and con's for each....I am leaning to mechanical because they are supost to fly just like field tips is this true? Are mechanicals reliable?

Why not get both pros from one broadhead? The accuracy and wound channel of a mech, with the reliability and penetration of a fixed? Nolimitarchery.com. The GraveDigger. Comes in a cut on contact or a chisel tip(my choice).

• Like 1

A lot of modern fixed blades shoot just like a field point as well. Shuttle t locks, NAP hellrazor, and G5 Montec are a few. Actually I bought Gravediggers and my shuttle t locks flew better than the gravediggers.

I went from 100 gr 3-blade Muzzys to the chisel too GD, didn't see much, if any diff in accuracy. Good to know though.

I switched to mechanicals a couple years ago after losing a deer on a poor hit with a fixed blade. I may have lost the deer anyway, but I figured that id go with a larger cutting diameter to try to increase the tissue damage and increase the chance of recovery should I ever make another bad hit. As far as penetration goes, I've only hit two deer with them so far, but both times my g5 m echanicals blew threw them and just kept on going, leaving a 1-1/2" hole behind. If I ever draw an elk tag I may go back to fixed heads, but im sticking with mechanicals on deer and small animals.

+1 on the Gravediggers. I like the T3's as well, but the Gravediggers appear to be more durable.

The most consistant fixed blade heads ive used have been slick tricks. But the cutting diameter is obviously WAY less.

• Like 1

Shwackers all the way! I like Muzzy's too though. Both the broad heads give me accuracy and are simple. I Iike the durability of the muzzy's but LOVE the cutting diameter and accuracy of the swhackers.

• Like 1

in rare cases will they both fly the same from the same bow ie; no sight adjustment needed...

Oneshot, I have shot the Swhacker heads for a very long time and through several bows and they ALLWAYS fly the same as my field points, even when I switched to 125's

Vortex are good but are not made any more there is a new head called a executioner I think I might try it out kinda like a vortex with coc tip

Ulmer edge. Flies just like a field tip for me! Plus for a mechanical it gets great penetration. I also like the GD and Swhackers. What ever you go with make sure to take time to practice. Don't just by a broadhead because someone says it flies like a field point, then screw it on, and hunt without ever shooting it. Lots of good choices out there! Hope you find the one that works for you!

I've always wanted simple. Fixed blades are simple, legal in every state, etc.

• Like 1