SEAZCoues

Texas Hog Hunts

I did not realize there were hog hunting ranches in AZ. Anyone been there and able to provide any sort of reports? AKretschmer I look forward to hearing about it after Feb...please post some pics and a report!

I know of a place in Oklahoma that comes very highly recommended for bowhunting hogs but is also open to gun hunts. It's called Shiloh Ranch. There is also a place in Texas called Cinco Ranch where Rob Kiebler operates Fair Chase Ltd. That place is covered in javis but has hogs as well. These are hunts very commonly reviewed on Bowsite and come highly recommended. There might be other options for a pure gun hunt but I know these guys offer excellent bowhunting opportunities.

Guest akaspecials

If you have time and are adventurous put an ad on Craigslist in an area with a lot of hogs. Offer to help exterminate them and make it clear that you leave gates how they are found and won't shoot their cattle and be an idiot. Also offer to help with mending fences, cleaning stalls, etc. I have a few properties I've found that way. I've hit some properties that were bust and others that I've found hundreds of hogs a day.

Pm me if you want any tips on hunting hogs in unknown territory with minimal time or any questions.

If you want a guaranteed hunt though, find an outfitter. There are thousands of ranches, high and low fence that have close to 100% success rates. Plan to open up that wallet though. It's not unusual for folks to want 100 to 200 bucks just for a trespass fee on a 40 acre property. I'd rather shovel some shoot for a few hours and help a rancher out than play that money game....

Not Texas or NM but this one is AZ, www.fortrockhunting.com

I haven't been there yet but I will be going in Feb.

I got is guy on that ranch 2 summers ago just to say I did. It took 4 rounds of .270 to bring it downpost-12761-0-59389900-1418340235_thumb.jpgpost-12761-0-13530700-1418340276_thumb.jpgpost-12761-0-27909500-1418340313_thumb.jpg
  • Like 5

Zeke what did you think of the ranch? Would you go again?

Adam

BIg Brown overall I thought it was fine. At first I thought would be a grand slam one evening and I would be out of there. We hunted hard the first evening, and the next morning we hunted hard and we didn't see anything. I was looking for a smaller 300 lb Russian pig to shoot because they were cheaper, but the only guy that presented its self was this almost 700lber Russian. I told myself oh well, I hunted hard and it will look cool in the pictures. 100 yard shot I think my scope was off because I shot real low and wounded it. We looked for a couple of hours and couldn't find it. The owner said he has never lost an animal. While looking for this pig wounded, of course the we glass up and come across like 5 other Russian pigs go figure right!!!! Well I went home empty handed all bummed out. The next morning while at church he calls me up and said it was alive and bedded down. So I drove up there right away and he got me onto it about 40 yards shot right into the vitals, layed over and got back up and did a short charge at us, the guide yelling at me Shoot Again, Shoot Again. Popped another one into it, turned side ways and he said Shoot Again! So I shot the 3rd time and went down and started kicking. Well it already charged once (charge that didn't seem like I was in danger though) so I shot one more into it. We discovered my very first shot was right on the belly fat and knocked off some fat and that was it.

So it was a fun hunt and a fun story to tell. Its one of those hunts you do on the off season and don't entirely feel like its a free range hunt because its not. But awesome for those 1-1/2 day hunts and great for the kids to hunt and bag something. I would do it again and I might do it this late spring, but this time with a bow. The meat is pretty good! I would like to take one of those rams with a bow just to say I did!

• Like 1

I follow these guys on Facebook. They seem pretty good. They send me some info. Two day two night hunts, lodging, transportation to and from stands and 1 hog of any size for $400. 100% shot opportunity guaranteed. Each addition hog is $100. Might be worth looking into.

https://www.facebook.com/ridgebackcreek

• Like 1

Zeke thanks for the info. I'm hoping to take my kids so they can both get a ram. Did you see a lot of rams during your hunt?

Adam

• Like 1

Big brown yeah I saw them. They are there. I was thinking about shooting one of those when we couldn't find those pigs at first. With a rifle no problem. Depending where they are at, if they are in the rocks it's real rugged. But they like to hang out in more of the flat pinons. So a bow would be fun. If you go on google earth follow the 93 till you hit the 40 . Head east until you find fort rock road. The big gap In between the freeway west of Fort Rock rd is his property and south of the 40. His house and the hunters cabin is north of this property. The kids should love it. Have fun. If you go up there tell him I'm the one with 700 lb russian. He kept telling me he wanted to put those pictures on his web site. He took plenty of pics but never once put my ugly mug on his site. Ha ha that was kind of a let down :)

I've been doing a ton of research on this topic. I want to kill a hog. What I've found out is the hogs are much bigger and the hunting is more expensive in California but there is more of a fair chase atmosphere there. Texas is much less expensive per hog, but quite a ways further for travel to the better hog areas. I've also discovered that there are basically two different kind of hunts, high fence and low fence.

Some of the outfits that look good on paper in addition to the ones posted earlier I have come across are:

4 Pines Ranch

Hunters Creek Ranch

Arrowhead Outfitters

Hog Heaven Ranch

Hog Mountain Ranch

Helgram Pines

Dos Plumas Ranch

Does anyone here have any input whatsoever on any of these outfits?

I also have a lead or two for some hunts that are not advertised on the web much. If anyone is possibly interested in a late spring or early summer trip to Texas for some hog hunting please let me know. This might be a good opportunity to team up for driving and get in on some hogs!

Thanks,

Nick

PS I tried to contact Fort Rock Ranch but their follow through has been less than desirable. Good communication on something like this is a MUST!

• Like 2

Nick please keep me posted. I would be interested in going on a cheap fun pig hunt.

• Like 1