lancetkenyon

New 6.5 SLR Build

So, as some of you know, I am building a new LR rifle for steel and hunting. It will not be a mountain gun, but I am hoping to keep it under 16#. Phoenix Custom Rifles is doing the build for me.

Specs will be as follows:

Rem 700 SA trued w. new recoil lug

PTG bolt with M16 extractor and tactical bolt knob

Bartlein 26-27" 1 in 8" 5R Match .264 barrel Remington Varmint/Sendero contour

Manners T2A stock in Coyote Tan w. custom PCR paint scheme & pillar/action bedding (just ordered yesterday/shipped out today)

Timney Calvin Elite trigger (adj. from 8oz to 2.5#)

Badger Thruster brake

Cerakote all metal (color TBD)

I have already ordered brass (.243 Win Remington brass) for sizing and forming

I have calls into two places for 6.5 SLR dies already

I have already ordered a Badger Ordinance 20 MOA 1 piece Picatinny rail

Rings TBD Maybe a Spuhr, but dang.

Scope will be either a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-2 or Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56 with SCR reticle.

I have scrimped and saved and sold off old stuff to allow the build of this rifle. As soon as my stock comes in, I will be dropping it all off at Phoenix Custom Rifles. I am already getting itchy trigger finger just dreaming about this rifle. I can't wait.

• Like 2

Sounds awesome I love me a 6.5. If you dont mind me asking what made you pick this particular cartridge? From what I understand this is pretty much a standard 260 with a 30° shoulder which makes for a little longer neck. Why not go with the 260 Ackley and get even better efficiency and a bit more capacity? Not trying to bash your build at all I just like to hear why people pick what they do. Build sounds awesome and I'm sure you will be well pleased.

• Like 1

The 6.5 SLR has the same 30° shoulder/long neck design as the 6.5 x47, so accuracy should be top notch. But at a larger case capacity than the 6.5 Creedmoor, and slightly higher than the .260. This is almost a .260 Ackley, but a 30° shoulder vs. 40° and longer neck for better bullet purchase. Brass is easy to form with .243 Win or .260 Rem brass. Fire forming the final case is still a must, just like the .260 Ackley.

Also, I like the different cartridges. I love an Ackley for sure, just wanted something different. So people will ask "What is that?" It will mostly be for shooting long range steel, but be an amazing backup hunting rig for glassing far away ridges. Recoil should be minimal with the smaller case capacity (somewhere around 43-45+ grains of powder) and a brake, plus a bit of a heavy gun, so shooting a LOT will be fun. Throat wear is supposed to be minimal too due to the longer neck, so barrel life should be around 2K+? I heard 3K+ is very possible. I expect velocities around 2900-3000fps with the 140 Berger VLDs. Should rock.

Plus, PCR has the reamer in stock, so no waiting 8-16 weeks for a new .260 Ackley reamer. If I wanted more velocity, they had a 6.5x.284 reamer too, but all I have read state 900-1000 rounds is average for barrel life. That is pretty quick. For a hunting rifle alone, that would last 50 years, but I plan to shoot this quite a bit.

• Like 1

65_cartridges__2_zps117a9f85.jpg

L to R:
.260 Rem, 6.5 SLR, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua

Slightly less body taper, sharper shoulder, longer neck (great for those long VLD bullets)

Cool cartridge for sure. I have found the sweet spot for the 140 bergers in my Ackley and 6.5-284 to be right around 2950 fps. I've had both up and over 3000fps but the accuracy was never there. 2800,2950 & 3100 has been the accuracy nodes for most 6.5s I have ever messed with, at least with the berger vlds. You made the right choice choosing this one over the 6.5-284. Although an outstanding cartridge its probably my least favorite 6.5 cartridge. I look forward to seeing groups and range reports on this.

• Like 1

Cool cartridge for sure. I have found the sweet spot for the 140 bergers in my Ackley and 6.5-284 to be right around 2950 fps. I've had both up and over 3000fps but the accuracy was never there. 2800,2950 & 3100 has been the accuracy nodes for most 6.5s I have ever messed with, at least with the berger vlds. You made the right choice choosing this one over the 6.5-284. Although an outstanding cartridge its probably my least favorite 6.5 cartridge. I look forward to seeing groups and range reports on this.

I can actually agree with this 100%. Maybe a first?? Just kidding!

I'm looking forward to getting back into a 6.5 one of these days but it sure as heck won't be a 6.5-284. My least favorate 6.5 as well, though anything larger is even worse. The 6.5-284 can be improved though...it's called dropping the 6.5 and leaving it as the original 284.

Anyway, enough of the rant. I will likely keep it simple and just go 260 rem. There's a reason I haven't sold my plethora of 6.5 bullets. VLDs, amaxs, accubonds, SSTs etc...

Sweet looking cartridge and I hope you keep us posted.

M

Wow I think that is a first. I guess we can all just get along.

Oooh. The first part arrived today! I just ordered this on Monday night!!! Thanks OTM.

Timney Calvin Elite trigger w. safety and floor plate release. Adjustable from 8oz. to 2.5 pounds of pull.

20141211_164239_zpswjysnzse.jpg

20141211_164250_zpsqrypbxc0.jpg

This sounds awesome. Cant wait to see the results. From what I've read from Lance in the past and some of the stuff he has helped me out on, this round is the best way to describe him. Knows his stuff, and doesn't follow the crowd, and wants to be unique from the rest of the shooters. Enjoy, show pics of the gun ASAP

Its all good except for all the 6.5-284 bashing!! LOL.

I am another that would definitely like to see range results when they happen Lance.

Its cool to see your enthusiasm.

I am glad to have helped your build in a small way :rolleyes:

Jeff

• Like 1

Not really bashing just better options out there.

More Brown Santa gifts today!

And some I bought on my own locally.

I ordered 10 packs of 20 each, Remington brand .243 Win brass. It arrived today, and to my delight.....there are 21 pieces in each pack!!! So 10 rounds free.

20141212_191244_zpsu0h4kyd5.jpg

I also stopped on my way home and picked up a box of Berger 6.5mm 140gr. Hunting VLDs. BC rating of .612 is pretty good. Once I get load worked up after I am sure they will shoot well, I will grab a 500ct. box.

20141212_152238_zpsnggj8wcq.jpg

From L to R:

.308 210gr. Berger Target Hybrid

.264 140gr. Berger VLD Hunting

.257 115gr. Berger VLD Hunting

.224 69 Sierra Match King

20141212_192304_zpst1qugskx.jpg

.612 pretty good? How about freakin awesome for a 140gr bullet! Those are the best thing going for the 6.5s right now. The hybrids have a .618 but I haven't been able to talk myself in to switching for just 6 more points in BC and the VLDs shoot fantastic.