AzHuntAtty

House Rock Hunt

I drew this tag and am starting to gather as much information as possible to prepare. I plan to tackle it on my own with the help of a couple friends. Id like to talk with anyone with experience on the hunt. I'm particularly interested in finding out the optimal time to go to catch them off park. Five months is a long season. Thanks.

• Like 1

I tagged along on the cow/yearling hunt but game and fish was helping the 5 tags the whole time. They just dropped us on water every morning and we would sit there from dark to dark. did have 2 bulls come in one day. Basically I have no info for you other than I believe they rut in July in high temps down low by house rock if I remember right.

The game and fish will offer a clinic for all the tag holders. You will get a bunch of information about how to be successful. Your hunt will be somewhat different due to winter on the North Kaibab, but you've got months to get it done. congrats!

Focus on the middle and lower half of South Canyon - that is where the water lines run from. At this time of year, the herds should be out of the NP and down on the range lands south of the ranch house. Early bird gets the worm. As soon as the buffalo begin to feel pressured, they will begin to migrate up into the NP. About 90% migrate up through South Canyon with the rest using North Canyon in smaller groups. If I had this hunt, I would be up there opening day. If I wasn't sitting on a herd of buffalo opening morning and heard gunfire, I would hightail it up to water tank #2 or #3 and sit on it the rest of the day.

Focus on the middle and lower half of South Canyon - that is where the water lines run from. At this time of year, the herds should be out of the NP and down on the range lands south of the ranch house. Early bird gets the worm. As soon as the buffalo begin to feel pressured, they will begin to migrate up into the NP. About 90% migrate up through South Canyon with the rest using North Canyon in smaller groups. If I had this hunt, I would be up there opening day. If I wasn't sitting on a herd of buffalo opening morning and heard gunfire, I would hightail it up to water tank #2 or #3 and sit on it the rest of the day.

Didn't it open on jan 1?

Modern Kaibab buffalo hunt basics... Don't hunt down low and don't hunt on the east side. Hunt within 2 miles of the park boundary along the west side. Don't waste time fighting the snow. Snow= no grass. No grass= no buffalo. Be friendly and kind to other hunters and don't let bossy others effect your hunt in a negitive way. Be patient and smell the roses along the way. Good luck and let me know if you need further help.

• Like 5

Modern Kaibab buffalo hunt basics... Don't hunt down low and don't hunt on the east side. Hunt within 2 miles of the park boundary along the west side. Don't waste time fighting the snow. Snow= no grass. No grass= no buffalo. Be friendly and kind to other hunters and don't let bossy others effect your hunt in a negitive way. Be

Modern Kaibab buffalo hunt basics... Don't hunt down low and don't hunt on the east side. Hunt within 2 miles of the park boundary along the west side. Don't waste time fighting the snow. Snow= no grass. No grass= no buffalo. Be friendly and kind to other hunters and don't let bossy others effect your hunt in a negitive way. Be

I would have to agree with you 100 percent just spent two days with a friend that has that tag. We didn't even see a track ran into numerous lion hunters that got a good laugh out us of being in there looking for buffalo. Some cool scenery but that's a long ways to go to play in the snow.

Modern Kaibab buffalo hunt basics... Don't hunt down low and don't hunt on the east side. Hunt within 2 miles of the park boundary along the west side. Don't waste time fighting the snow. Snow= no grass. No grass= no buffalo. Be friendly and kind to other hunters and don't let bossy others effect your hunt in a negitive way. Be patient and smell the roses along the way. Good luck and let me know if you need further help.

^^^^^ Do what this guy says