Sign in to follow this  
LifeFeedsOnLife

Wind

I went out to try my luck at glassing this weekend and found the wind to be cold and miserable. It made me think that any animal with half as much sense as I do would just hunker down and wait for it to blow over. What have you guys found? Is it worth glassing through the wind or just waiting it out?

Animals are up feeding out of the wind during their normal hours for the most part in my experience. Need to be glassing into the wind as a good rule of thumb. If it's rainy and windy, then I think they tend to hunker down. I hate the wind, it definitely makes it harder to find game, but I normally keep hunting as best I can and just complain about it! If you do find something, the stronger wind can be very helpful to sneak in closer without being detected, especially with a bow.

• Like 1

That's what I figured and was trying to do. We came prepared for cold but not the wind and it was cutting right through our layers and shaking the tripods pretty bad. Good learning experience though i suppose.

Get as low to the ground as possible. Sit on the ground, lower the tripod with legs spread as far as possible, and try not to put up the main shaft extension. Maybe even try to get in behind a tree to help get out of the wind.

I was up north this weekend, and it was pretty cold and windy up there too. Even got some snow flurries as we were packing up to leave. We packed for cold weather though, so the only thing cold on me was nose and cheeks.