idgaf

My girl can dance again

I have had a few things the last few months seriously alter my fall and winter hunting plans. Everything from Job loss to my fathers recurrence of cancer to my bow snapping a limb as I am pulling back on a cow elk the week before Christmas. The job loss was a good thing I was unemployed for what amounted to the time it took to have lunch and i went from a sniveling reactive company to a company that is proactive with a good team and leadership. The only drawback is I have minimal time off. My fathers cancer i am hoping was caught in time but if it wasn't we will spend the quality time that we missed over the last four decades. Me and my brother altered our 5 day back pack plans from Mexico to the end of the Babaquiveries to day trip flats hunting.

The last item was icing on the cake. My bow broke at my favorite time of year causing me not to hunt deer in December and finishing my elk hunt with a thud. I posted a topic in the bow section about which shop to take it to to get it fixed. I had several quality answers and went against the SUPER majority by not taking it to Ross Outdoors (I am sure they would have done a great job) and took it to the new local shop, Desert Country Archery. They replaced my limbs at no charge, informed me that my string was on the verge of breaking and then replaced the bad string with one of my old ones and tuned it until the end of January when my girl will go back into surgery and get a new string. I was very impressed with the gentleman's passion for what does and I will be back.

My girl before going into the ER.

post-4480-0-41117200-1421640673_thumb.jpg

I knew it would take a bit to get the limbs from the Midwest with the holiday timing. So I knew I was going to miss some hunting time. It was easier for me to quit smoking cold turkey than it was to be inside the house with fresh snow on the ground and the start of the new year. I finally got out the second weekend and headed down to Tucson to see my Dad and hunt with my Brother. I saw one Javelina fifteen minutes into the hunt and then nothing larger than a rabbit for the next day and half. My brother and our cousin on the other hand saw several bucks and one that was giant(so they say). We had chased a buck from 2006 to 2009 down there that we named Mondo and this buck had all of his characteristics according to my brother. The name Divo stuck for this buck. I was immediately made reservations to be down the following weekend.

I take a modified day off on Friday and head down the hill. I get to Oracle about day break and see a very good buck get hit by a car.I thought wow, you do not see that everyday. I get to the edge of the unit with an S10 blazer in front of me and then see an even larger buck get hit squarely and die immediately. I think to myself is this a good omen or bad. Once again I do not see another animal larger than a rabbit.

The next day I was expecting my luck to change and it did immediately. From the time I put gas to dinner that was great. i had a few gas rewards.

post-4480-0-80556100-1421643081_thumb.jpg

We get to our hunting grounds and start working the flats. I am twenty minutes into my walk thinking what happen to my mojo, its lost. Is my brother telling the truth or exaggerating on the size of the deer. Then I see what I thought was Javelina escaping. I head that way and look to my left and see my first deer not hit by a car in the unit. I see antlers and my internal barometer is saying shooter. Sneaking through the mesquites and palo verdes was easy and I closed the distance in moments. Just then I lose sight of him and think he went the other way, I move up slowly and he shows himself for the second time within range and broadside. I assumed first pin I was wrong., way wrong. I was so wrong the deer went around a small mesquite and then faced me to see what the rukus was. I grabbed another arrow settled in moved two pins down and released. The buck takes off crashing through bush. I walk to where the deer was and see blood immediately.

I text my brother "I shot Him" he does not respond. I wait a few minutes and then I see him and he says "there's twenty pigs over there" which I respond "F%@! the pigs!" get over here. (Any law enforcement reading this I was referring to Javelina please do not pull me over) . We start trailing and see this within a few yards.

post-4480-0-31989500-1421644688_thumb.jpg

I am a slow tracker very meticulous to every detail when blood trailing, my brother on the hand goes very fast. He is ahead of me and the blood gets even better and then I hear "there he is"

We see this and start our happy dances. This is my first buck since 2012 (I thought I was a trophy hunter for a couple of years)

post-4480-0-06273400-1421644986_thumb.jpg

Glamour shot

post-4480-0-07785900-1421645044_thumb.jpg

Spirit fingers

post-4480-0-54593700-1421645133_thumb.jpg

A little more realistic view

post-4480-0-03167600-1421646382_thumb.jpg

This is not the largest buck I have taken but he is the oldest and the coolest. He has his front teeth and wisdom teeth and nothing else. Oh by the way this is not Divo he still lives and is much larger.

• Like 13

Nice job!

Nice fuel prices too. I'm still paying $3.00+ for 90 octane per gal.

Awesome buck. Congrats! I am glad that DCA got you taken care of. Felt like my reputation was sort of riding on it.

Great deer and a big congratulations on not letting the life get you down. The last time i was laid off i had a job before i could drive home. Way to pick your self up and i pray only the best things happen for your dad

Congratulations and thanks for the great writeup!

Thanks for all the props. I have been very fortunate to have taken 3 pope and young caliber deer since 2010 and 1 very mature buck with a rifle in that time. One of these days I will buy some good beer a few steaks and have an official scorer come over for dinner. I was asked on my hunting style today and it's simple use your senses, hunt all day, move where and when you will not be seen or heard and have confidence to the end that it will work.

My taxidermist told me today that this buck was eight or nine years old. I forgot to mention that the day ended at my 92 year old grandmothers house with her making Chile con carne, beans and rice for dinner.

My favorite picture

post-4480-0-37016600-1421713382_thumb.jpg

Super awesome buck!