desertmafia21

Kuiu Icon vs Ultra

Anybody ever use both? What are the advantages of the icon over the ultra? I love the weight of the ultra 6000 at only 3lbs 9 oz. I ended up buying a 2013 icon frame with 5200, 3000, and 1850 bags on another forum. Is it worth it to get the ultra to save 2 lbs on the base weight?

Any input is appreciated thanks

• Like 1

I have no experience with the Kuiu bags, but I do run a Kifaru. IMO, I would not buy another bag to save 2 lbs, unless you are planning on going on a deep back country hunt, and have all the other superlight gear. (600$ sleeping bag, 500 tent,) I have heard from some on my buddies that run Kuiu's that the ultra's are not as well made as the icon's for what it's worth.

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a new pack and I have been researching the ultra 6000 and like it a lot. I have read where people have ordered the Icon frame and put the 6000 pack on it. I'm just wondering what the Icon frame weighs and if there is an advantage over the ultra frame. David

• Like 2

I have the Ultra 6, its been great so far on my few trips with it. It is really light and the extra quick straps and adjustability are awesome. I also bought the bow carrier and it works pretty slick so far. Unfortunately haven't been able to pack out any kills with it yet. This is the first large volume hunting/specialty pack I've owned, so not a ton of experience to compare to. But with me tipping the scales at 160 on a good day, I need to save every ounce I can on my hauls. The only thing that has caused me to pause so far is the material isn't extra quiet when going through thick brush, not even close to the quietness of their clothing line.

• Like 2

I have an icon pro 5200. In my opinion, this pack is outstanding. The pocket layout is nice and functional. I am not a throw everything into one pocket type of guy. Organization is a must for me. My old pack was an eberlestock J34 and there is a night and day difference between the two. When trying to decide what pack to get, I was toying with getting the ultra, but ended up not because it just didn't have the organization features that the icon pro did. Something that might be just personal, was I didn't like that the ultra didn't have 2 side pockets for say a water bottle or other gear. In my reading, there was complaints that the ultra wasn't as durable either. That was a big no no for me. If I am gonna spend that amount on a pack it better be durable and it better be functional for my needs. On the other hand, I know that there are guys on here that run the ultra that love it. Maybe, it is just personal preference. I hope this helps!

• Like 3

I have the icon 5200 and really like it. it's really comfortable, has lots of pockets for organization and with a heavy load it distributes the weight very good IMO. I packed my coues and all my gear out of some nasty country in October with no complaints. Solid pack IMO.

• Like 3

I have an icon pro 5200. In my opinion, this pack is outstanding. The pocket layout is nice and functional. I am not a throw everything into one pocket type of guy. Organization is a must for me. My old pack was an eberlestock J34 and there is a night and day difference between the two. When trying to decide what pack to get, I was toying with getting the ultra, but ended up not because it just didn't have the organization features that the icon pro did. Something that might be just personal, was I didn't like that the ultra didn't have 2 side pockets for say a water bottle or other gear. In my reading, there was complaints that the ultra wasn't as durable either. That was a big no no for me. If I am gonna spend that amount on a pack it better be durable and it better be functional for my needs. On the other hand, I know that there are guys on here that run the ultra that love it. Maybe, it is just personal preference. I hope this helps!

I'm the same way about organization. That's the only downfall I see with the ultra. I think ill stick with the icon for now and try it out at the end of February on my javelina hunt. Hopefully I like it as much as all of you.

• Like 1

I have both the Icon (3000 and 7200) and the Ultra 6000. I like them both. Both have pro's and cons but in all can say that the ultra has carried some great loads this past season. I have packed out 4 animals this year and the ultra has been amazing. I live in Tucson if you want to see any of them I can meet you.

The main draw back to the ultra is that it does not have all the extra pockets. At first I was bummed it did not have more pockets but, to be honest I don't miss having everything in separate pockets.

Chris

• Like 2

I have the ultra 1800 and love it. Packed out my elk this past yr with no problem. I like saving the weight over the Icon series. Downfall to the ultra is less pockets but you can purchase the pockets for the Icon and use them on the ultra.

• Like 2

I have the older Icon 1850 and I love it! Like everyone has stated, the pocket layout is very well thought out and it stays comfortable, even with a very heavy load.

And the load sling mode is just stupid easy. After I loaded up last years buck, I stepped back like, "that's it? Nothing I have to tie down?"

• Like 3

I have the icon 5200. Nice pack! Great for 2-3 day trips. Not sure its goona work for 5-7 days tho. I am looking at kifaru and stone glacier for my next pack, but no complaints on the 5200.

• Like 1

I recently bought the new Kuiu Icon Pro 3200. I did a bunch of research before making my decision and I am very satisfied with my choice. The fitment of the pack is amazing and very comfortable. Based on there videos I watched on youtube, they made some improvements over there prior packs. Plenty of pockets and places to put lots of gear. There is also an internal belt system to control movement of larger gear inside the pack. It prevents shifting while you hike. The part I really like is the fact you can adjust the pack to your exact torso size. This has always been an issue for me with other packs. I also added some side pockets, and gun holder. I will add feedback when I pack out my first animal. David

http://store.kuiu.com/product-p/62009.htm

post-561-0-38189200-1431270329.jpg

• Like 3

Looks awesome!

I recently bought the new Kuiu Icon Pro 3200. I did a bunch of research before making my decision and I am very satisfied with my choice. The fitment of the pack is amazing and very comfortable. Based on there videos I watched on youtube, they made some improvements over there prior packs. Plenty of pockets and places to put lots of gear. There is also an internal belt system to control movement of larger gear inside the pack. It prevents shifting while you hike. The part I really like is the fact you can adjust the pack to your exact torso size. This has always been an issue for me with other packs. I also added some side pockets, and gun holder. I will add feedback when I pack out my first animal. David

http://store.kuiu.com/product-p/62009.htm

I got the same pack I like it

• Like 1