Sign in to follow this  
mudslinger

10x42 el range or 10x42 slc and Leica 1600

I am thinking of saving for el range. Having 2 devices in one seems smart. I bow hunt more than rifle hunt and being left handed the el s have the button on the left side which could possibly make for one hand use. The slc is light and glass is great. It seems like the Leica rangefinder is awesome and would save money with that

combo. Thoughts?

This is a great topic. I will be interested to see the responses and choices.

10x42 EL Range @ $3200. Range from 33-1500 yards.

10x42 SLC HD @ $2000 + Leica 1600B @ $800. Range from 10 to 1600 yards (I have gotten 1852 yards with mine). Plus temperature & barometric pressure.

Price savings is only $400+/- MSRP if you go new.

EL Range:

Pros:

EL Range is one unit. LRF is always available when you have the binos in your hands. No need to grab another piece of equipment.

Glass has to be incredible as with all Swaro EL lines.

Temp range from 14°F-131°F

Cons:

I am not sure if this reads temp/baro pressure. ???

31.5oz (almost 2 lbs.)

1% error factor

1000 measurements battery life

Swaro SLC/Leica 1600B combo:

Pros:

Less expensive overall

28oz for binos are lighter to hang off your neck/shoulders 1600B is 7.8oz, so overall heavier than the single EL range

1600B can fit in a shirt pocket

Longer ranging capabilities

Temp/baro pressure/drop compensation built into 1600B

Very precise ranging with narrow beam

.5% error factor over 800 yards

3000 measurements battery life

Temp range -5°F to 130+°F

Ranging out past 1850 yards possible on non-reflective targets/trees/rocks

Cons:

7X power for 1600B

Two separate units (which are heavier than a single EL Range)

If it were me, and I could swing either price, I would have to consider the EL Range.....IF.....it gives temp and baro pressure. If not, I would go with the two separate units. Otherwise you need to add the cost of a Kestrel ($300+) to get that info, raising your price even higher. You could add a $100 Kestrel to the combo budget and get wind speeds also, and still remain under the price of the EL Range. But then you have 3 units to deal with.....vicious cycle.

I had the older style Leica 10x42 range finder binos and really liked them. They were as clear and sharp as the Swaros that I have and after using them with the rang finder built in, never used the Swaros again. Just recently I switched to the new Leica 10x42 HD B. They are pretty amazing with 10-2,000 yd range finder with angle compensating, temp and barometric info built in. It has features to figure out your gun's ballistics also. The range finder works very quickly when you push the button and ranges out to 2,000 easily. Check them out before you buy anything because they are pretty awesome.

• Like 1

After going back and forth I decided to go with the el range. Got a good deal on the old style closeout cant wait to try them out.

you will not regret your decision.

• Like 1